IB Hebrew exam potentially canceled

Program under review by IB

IB will make an international decision whether to continue the IB Hebrew SL course or not in January of 2019.

Caroline Green

Caroline Green

Ndunzi Kunsunga and Alec Pittman

After receiving a letter in the mail April 7, sophomore Eitan Weinstein said he was informed of the possible discontinuance of the International Baccalaureate (IB) Hebrew program internationally after May of 2022.

“I’m not that upset. I kind of get it. I’m guessing that a lot of schools also (don’t have) many people taking the class,” Weinstein said. “It makes sense from a numbers perspective.”

Principal Scott Meyers said the decision is not one to be made by the Park community, rather it is being made by IB staff.

“The number of students registering for IB Hebrew is below a threshold. It is considered at risk,” Meyers said. “That is all we know.”

According to IB Hebrew teacher Hadassa Slager, the reasoning for the cancellation is due to a low number of students enrolling in IB Hebrew worldwide.

“Apparently there’s not enough students signing up for IB Hebrew so they might consider next year to possibly discontinue it,” Slager said. “Sounds like it’s not set in stone yet but it might be a warning that we have to figure out what to do to keep it going.”

Sophomore Zachary Weiser said he understands the practicality behind potentially ending the class, but said its ending can still cause frustration for future Park students.

“I guess it kind of makes sense because I feel like there aren’t that many people (in the program). I feel like it will be upsetting for a lot of future Hebrew students coming into the St. Louis Park program,” Weiser said. “It will be annoying that they can’t get credit for what they’re doing in college like we can.”

According to Meyers, a listening session will be held 3:30 p.m. April 26 in C350 of the High School.

Ndunzi Kunsunga, Profiles Editor
Hi I’m Ndunzi/Jason and I am the champion. When I’m the center of attention everyone gets a sheer heart attack so don’t stop me now. I’m a nice guy so I will never mean to cause you any sorrow or to cause you any pain. Anywhere the wind blows nothing really matters to me. I...
Alec Pittman, Managing Editor
Hi, my name is Alec Pittman, but most people call me Pitt. I am one of the managing editors here on Echo. I enjoy writing columns about my current and past endeavors in swimming. I look forward to being a leader this year and want to make everyone here on Echo feels proud to represent...