25th Annual Ice Cream Social brings community together

Children First aims to engage adults in youth development

A naturalist shows off a snake to some children attending the Saint Louis Park Annual Ice Cream Social May 13 at the ROC.

Noah Deetz

Noah Deetz

Sophie Olmen and Hayley Westwood

Senior Lindsey Prestholdt said she has attended the Ice Cream Social in previous years and it has always been a positive experience.

“I think it’s really great. I’ve come to the Ice Cream Social for a few years so far. I mean I used to come here as a kid and I loved it,” Prestholdt said. “It’s always so much fun gathering as a community and to see everyone and to learn about everything that’s happening.”

According to Children First Executive Director Karen Atkinson, the purpose of the 25th Annual Children First Ice Cream Social on May 13 was to bring the community closer together.

“(The aim is) to bring the whole community together and celebrate families and our kids and to heighten the awareness of Children First,” Atkinson said.

Prestholdt said the Ice Cream Social had many different activities for people of all ages.

“I think it’s great they’ve got everything that you could want from entertainment, to free ice cream, you can go shopping, to meeting

with people,” Prestholdt said.

Atkinson said Children First focuses on getting more people involved in the community.

“The role of Children First is to engage adults in the community to support all our young people as their growing up,” Atkinson said.

According to junior Jack Ostrovsky, he participated in the Ice Cream Social for the Human Rights Commission which advises the city council.

“We set up a table representing 1 of the 40 developmental assets.” Ostrovsky said. “We (The Human Rights Commission) advise them (city council) with stuff like police body work cameras and like hate crimes and stuff like that related to human rights.”

Atkinson said the event was moved to Mother’s Day to accommodate for a Jewish holiday.

“We actually moved it to mother’s day because we usually do it the third sunday and that’s a Jewish holiday this year,” Atkinson said. “We didn’t want to overlap with our Jewish neighbors who might not be able to come.”

Prestholdt said she participated in the event to inform others about SLP SEEDS organization and their goals.

“I am a part of the organization SLP SEEDS. We’re a non profit in St. Louis Park that aims to improve food equity within St. Louis Park,” Prestholdt said. “I am on the board of the SLP SEEDS so I’m here just to teach people about what we’re doing and get kids involved in our organization.”

According to Ostrovsky, he plans to attend the 26th Annual Ice Cream Social next year.

“I think it’s like really cool to see like all the people in St. Louis Park,” Ostrovsky said. “I will attend next year either for this again or just on my own just to experience it.”