At-Large closes due to water leak

Lab reopens June 4 after cleaning, repairs

Sophomore Annika Herkenhoff works in the At-Large Lab during first hour June 5. The lab was closed May 31-June 1 because of water damage.

Devin Raynor

Devin Raynor

Devin Raynor

Media assistant Pat Kripps, who works in the At-Large Lab copy room, said she saw and reported water in the At-Large Lab the morning of Thursday, May 31.

“I had walked by and I thought somebody had dumped a water bottle but as I went over further I saw the floor was soaked, keyboard was soaked and there was water everywhere,” Kripps said.

Senior Dafne Carmona-Rios said the At-Large Lab being closed could prevent students from accessing resources.

“I think that the At-Large Lab closing is a problem because it’s an important resource for students to get resources,” Carmona-Rios said. “Since the Media Center is always busy I think the At-Large Lab is another tool to get information so it being closed could cause problems.”

According to Kripps, custodial staff informed her the water damage resulted from a clogged pipe in the ceiling.

“As the custodians came in to fix it or look at it they touched the ceiling tiles, they were all wet. As they started to take them down, water came pouring down,” Kripps said. “They said it was caused by a clogged pipe that then they had to blow out.”

Kripps said the At-Large Lab was initially scheduled to reopen the afternoon of Friday, June 1 but remained closed for further cleanup.

“They wanted to leave it closed (Friday) morning but then (Debra) Sparling in the media center had already arranged for the teachers to go to use the Chromebooks,” Kripps said. “We decided to leave it closed because I had to do some cleanup and it’s still pretty wet over there.”

According to Kripps, the At-Large Lab reopened Monday, June 4.