Harvest festival begins preparations

Event to include potluck, performance

SLP SEEDS volunteer prepares fruit during an event. The harvest festival takes place 5:30 p.m.  August 23 at Ainsworth Park and August 24 Rainbow Park.

SLP SEEDS volunteer prepares fruit during an event. The harvest festival takes place 5:30 p.m. August 23 at Ainsworth Park and August 24 Rainbow Park.

Abigail Prestholdt

Abigail Prestholdt

Noah Orloff

Senior Leila Raymond said the Fourth Annual SLP Harvest Festival will help bring Park residents together.

“I think it’s a really nice community event and I think that it has a lot of benefits in just helping bring the community together,” Raymond said. “I think it’s really cool to get all aspects of the community involved with each other and spreading awareness for nutrition.”

According to SLP SEEDS founder Julie Rappaport, the two-day harvest festival begins at 5:30 p.m. August 23 at Ainsworth Park and August 24 at Rainbow Park. Rappaport said one of the goals of the festival is to display the struggle of providing nourishment to everyone.

“The main theme always has been something within food equity,” Rappaport said. “(It focuses on) how we as a community work, not just to raise awareness and advocacy to City Council and the school district, but to implement programming that supports the education of food as well as supplying not just calories, but nutrition to people in need, especially children.”

According to SLP SEEDS, the Aquila Theater of Arts will be performing Seedfolks by Paul Fleischman at the harvest festival.

Rappaport said the festival also includes an opportunity to enjoy some food.

“It’s a community potluck dinner, but if you don’t have food to bring, come anyways, there will be plenty to share,” Rappaport said.

According to SLP SEEDS’ Facebook page, the harvest festival is free to attend and everyone is welcome.

Noah Orloff, Writer
My name is Noah and I am a sophomore staff writer. Writing is something that I love to do, but I  also can be seen walking my neighbor’s dog. He is a five-year-old Cavachon, who in my opinion is the cutest dog ever. I also enjoy watching sports and attending sporting events. I look forward...