Voter registration assembly to occur Sept. 26

ACT SLP members hope to prepare seniors for elections

Senior+Gavin+Carpentier+signs+a+voter+registration+application+during+the+national+high+school+walkout+last+year+on+March+14.+ACT+SLP+is+leading+a+voter+registration+assembly+Sept.+26+to+encourage+eligible+seniors+to+register+to+vote+for+the+elections+in+November.++
Senior Gavin Carpentier signs a voter registration application during the national high school walkout last year on March 14. ACT SLP is leading a voter registration assembly Sept. 26 to encourage eligible seniors to register to vote for the elections in November.

Grace Farley

Grace Farley

Dani Orloff

According to sophomore Gabe Kaplan, the senior class will attend a voter registration assembly during their advisory class Sept. 26.

“We are going to be talking with the seniors about how to register, why it’s important to vote and then we are going to have really interesting speakers who try and get them interested in it,” Kaplan said.

According to Kaplan, the speakers include St. Louis Park Mayor Jake Spano, Civil Rights leader Dr. Josie Johnson and Superintendent Astein Osei.

Kaplan said he became intrigued with the idea of leading an assembly addressing voter registration after speaking with Minnesota House of Representatives member Frank Hornstein.

“He was talking about how he had done the same assembly with schools in Minneapolis,” Kaplan said. “We decided to bring it here because we thought it would be a good idea.”

Junior Ruby Stillman said Achieving Change Together (ACT) leaders Yonah Davis and Yonit Krebs, who are seniors, also helped transform this dream into a reality.

“Gabe Kaplan and I decided we wanted to take over that club and change its angle a bit from less of a volunteering organization to more of a social activism club,” Stillman said. “We worked with Yonah and Yonit to accomplish that and they were totally on board.”

According to social studies teacher Carley Kregness, following the assembly, on Sept. 27 students will be able to register to vote.

“We are going to have voter registration in-person available during all the lunches,” Kregness said. “The requirements are they that they have to be 18 before the election, and they need to have a state ID or a social security number.”

Stillman said her role focused on coordinating the logistics for the assembly.

“I’ve been meeting with the principal to get the ok, drafting speeches, contacting speakers and figuring out what they are going to say so there’s no overlap and working on the talks for the assembly,” Stillman said.

Kaplan said he feels students should learn about voter registration whether they are eligible to vote or not.

“I hope that the seniors that are going to be 18 in November learn how to register and are interested enough to actually vote then,” Kaplan said. “For those that aren’t old enough, I hope that they learn also how to register and are more interested for when they can vote in a year or two. “

Stillman said although she is not eligible to vote, she recognizes the importance of the voting process.

“I really want other students to realize the power their voice has and the potential they have to make change,” Stillman said. “It was important to me then to just educate others and do everything that I can. If I can help someone else vote, no matter who they vote for, that will be me accomplishing something.”

Kregness said she appreciates the dedication ACT members have put forth to prepare the student body prior to Election Day.

“I think it’s awesome,” Kregness said. “It seems like a lot of high school students haven’t registered and then when it’s time to vote, they’re suddenly not prepared to vote, so I think this gets everybody thinking about it ahead of time.”

Stillman said she is grateful for the help administrative members, speakers and advisors have provided to design the assembly.

“I’m very grateful for the help of the administration, and the various speakers, and our advisors, who have really listened to us and helped us because it’s come a long way,” Stillman said. “It started with an idea and now it will be coming into fruition this really awesome thing that I think will really help people for many years to come.”

Stillman said she believes the assembly showcases the power of student voice.

“Sometimes students are ignored but the people we worked with really listened to us and it makes me feel very proud of our community, our school district and our city that this can be something that happened,” Stillman said.

Dani Orloff, Editor-in-Chief

Hey guys! My name is Dani and I’m the Editor-in-Chief this year! When I am not devoting my time to Echo, you can find me in the kitchen training to become a future Food Network star.  Bobby Flay has nothing on me. I also love to binge watch whatever is on Netflix, especially The Office and Friends. If you don’t see me in the hall, look down because my friends claim that I tend to be “vertically challenged.”