Freshman civics class begins anti-hate crime exhibition

Photos seek to inspire change amidst recent hate crimes

Talia Lissauer and Dani Orloff

According to freshman Lili Jampsa, hate crimes have impacted many people and it is important to be conscious of this unfortunate truth.

“When people do things all the time that aren’t OK, like hate crimes, they can affect someone in the community,” Jampsa said. “It’s something we have to put a stop to because it’s not good, especially when it’s impacting so many people.”

After beginning the activity with her freshman students, civics teacher Kara Cisco has opened her classroom for students to participate in a unifying activity, according to sophomore Izzy Segal.

“Kids will write a saying on a poster that you think could mean something and show that everyone at our school belongs there,” Segal said.

According to Cisco, she got the idea for this student-initiated project from the famous artist Wing Young Huie who has done several pieces in this exhibition style.

“I’m providing the space and stuff but let’s make it clear that everything is student lead,” Cisco said.

According to Cisco, the activity allows students to inspire their peers.

“We will give them a little half sheet of paper to reflect and get a couple thoughts down,” Cisco said. “We will then pick a sentence and have them write it on the board themselves — then take a picture.”

Jampsa said she feels this is a great way for students to stand up for themselves and others.

“When someone makes a mean comment, ask yourself how you feel and then write that on your paper,” Jampsa said.

According to Segal, the activity seeks to embrace various beliefs, as opposed to treating others differently based on contrasting views.

“It gives students an opportunity to show that they care about everyone in our building and we are together as one and should all get along and not be disrespectful to one another’s culture,” Segal said.

Jampsa said she hopes the posters will motivate students to effect change in their generation.

“Putting posters up around the school will bring people’s eyes to it and realize that it’s not OK to be doing something like that,” Jampsa said.

According to Cisco, she wants the messages of participating students to be posted as soon as they can.

“We will be able to print them out really fast and get them laminated,” Cisco said.

Students can participate during periods one, five, six, seven and before or after school Nov. 29 in C353, according to Cisco. She said she will not be writing students passes, so they should get a pass from the teacher of the class period they are missing.

Talia Lissauer, Writer

Hey everyone my name is Talia Lissauer, I’m a sophmore and this is my first year on Echo. I play soccer all year long and in the winter I downhill ski...

Dani Orloff, Editor-in-Chief

Hey guys! My name is Dani and I’m the Editor-in-Chief this year! When I am not devoting my time to Echo, you can find me in the kitchen training to become...