Park to be released one hour early Feb. 7

Severe winter weather presents challenge to transportation

A snow blower at the high school Feb. 7. Students will be released one hour early due to the snow conditions.

Grace Farley

Grace Farley

Grace Farley

Abby Intveld and Dani Orloff

St. Louis Park Public Schools will be released early Feb. 7 because of the continued snowstorm and weather conditions, according to District communications director Sara Thompson.

According to Thompson, the high school will be released one-hour early at 2:10 p.m. In order to allow time for districtwide transportation, Thompson said the middle school will be released at 1 p.m. The remaining schools within the district will be released one-hour early like the high school.

Junior David Kanyinku said he was not surprised to hear of the one-hour early release.

“I really love the curriculum in the school and how we actually get an early release when it’s snowy,” Kanyinku said. 

“There will be no afternoon preschool and no afterschool or evening sports, classes, programs or activities,” Thompson said. “Kids Place childcare will remain open regular hours.”

Sophomore Colby Hoeschen said he feels drivers should be conscious of the weather conditions to be safe.

“I think it’s good since it’s snowing a lot outside and will make it easier for kids to go home. I think people have to be more careful,” Hoeschen said. “There was a freeze over this week so underneath all of the snow is a lot of ice too, so people just have to be careful.”

With the one-hour early release, sophomore Rochelle Jackson said she looks forward to taking advantage of the additional time after school.

“I feel happy because I get to go home early,” Jackson said. “Yeah, (I hope to) go to sleep. I need more sleep.”

Echo will provide an update if any new information becomes available.

Abby Intveld, Managing Editor

Hey folks!!! I’m Abby Intveld and I’m a senior and a managing editor for the Echo. My best friend is my golden retriever Beau and we love going for...

Dani Orloff, Editor-in-Chief

Hey guys! My name is Dani and I’m the Editor-in-Chief this year! When I am not devoting my time to Echo, you can find me in the kitchen training to become...