ACT for juniors rescheduled to March

District works to make test accessible

ACT for juniors rescheduled to March

Photo Illustration by Katie Hardie

Photo Illustration by Katie Hardie

Photo Illustration by Katie Hardie

Photo Illustration by Katie Hardie

Dani Orloff and Noah Orloff

According to assistant testing coordinator Jami LaPray, the ACT test for juniors will take place March 12 at 8:20 a.m. in the Fieldhouse. LaPray said the date was changed because of the school cancellation on the scheduled test day Feb. 20.

“It is the date that ACT designated as the makeup date,” LaPray said. “The state of Minnesota requires that we offer a school day ACT with writing.”

According to LaPray, this is the fourth or fifth year the District has offered a free ACT, with last year’s being the first paid for by the District.  

“The state is only paying for students who receive free (or) reduced lunch, and the District decided that they would pick up the tab for everyone else,” LaPray said. “There are lots of kids for whom it would still be a stretch even if they don’t technically qualify for a free (or) reduced lunch, and we wanted to make sure everyone had the opportunity to take the test.”

Junior Jackson Aune said the makeup day allows students to strengthen their skills before the test.

“I was pretty excited. It gives us more time to study and prepare for the ACT,” Aune said.

Jackson said while students don’t have to pay for administration of the test, the state should be responsible.

“I think that everyone should be given an opportunity to take the ACT,” Jackson said. “I think that it should be funded by the state.”

LaPray said the District-provided ACT ensures students have the opportunity to take the standardized test.

“It is an important test, and sometimes weekends are difficult for some students to offer transportation to get to where they need to go or the day of the week depending on religious affiliation,” LaPray said. “I think it is just one of many tests that we do that are important.”

Junior Stefany Perez said she believes the convenience of the test enables all students to take the test.

“I think it’s really good because a lot of people can’t afford it,” Perez said. “It just makes it easier for people who can’t afford it to be able to take it especially in school, so they don’t have to drive anywhere else.”

Dani Orloff, Editor-in-Chief

Hey guys! My name is Dani and I’m the Editor-in-Chief this year! When I am not devoting my time to Echo, you can find me in the kitchen training to become...

Noah Orloff, Copy Editor

My name is Noah and I am a sophomore copy editor. Writing is something that I love to do, but I  also can be seen walking my neighbor’s dog. He is a...