Alonzo Parks preps for Park

New assistant principal joins administration
Rylie Unangst
New assistant principal Alonzo Parks works in his office Aug. 31. Parks strives to make change at Park in the coming school year.

As Park kicks off the new school year, it welcomes new assistant principal Alonzo Parks to the leadership team. 

Parks said he is eager to work with the leadership team and finds their guidance to be inspirational.

“The thing I’m most looking forward to is working with our leadership team,” Parks said. “LaNisha Paddock and Alyssa Gardner are true racial equity leaders. Astein as well. This first year is kind of leaning in, learning and building relationships with the staff and the community as well.”

Junior Chloe Lorentz said she hopes to see more effective change within the school space in comparison to past years.

“(The assistant principal position) gets re-filled a lot. Hopefully they’ll do good things with the school,” Lorentz said. “I hope they’ll be doing more than just signing off posters in the hallways.”

Junior Bria Schneeberg said she is eager to see the changes made within Park after the addition to the leadership team.

“I’m excited to have some new hands on the admin team and to see what it’ll bring to our school this upcoming school year,” Schneeberg said.

Community is important. If I can impact the community this first year and be a visible front-facing leader, I want them to know that I’m invested not only in them but in the community that surrounds them as well.”

— Alonzo Parks

According to Lorentz, it is important to maintain relationships. She said she hopes to have a leader who is willing to connect with his students and staff.

“(I want) someone who’s able to make connections and be able to keep those connections and build trust, especially with students but also with other faculty members,” Lorentz said. “It’s important to keep those relationships.”

Parks said he values community and hopes to invest in and build relationships with the people who surround him.

“Community is important. If I can impact the community this first year and be a visible front-facing leader, I want them to know that I’m invested not only in them but in the community that surrounds them as well,” Parks said.

According to Schneeberg, conflict arises between the administration and students. She said she hopes Parks is able to have a positive impact on the student experience.

“We always have problems with admin and students get frustrated,” Schneeberg said. “I’m hoping that this person will have good ideas for how to help our experience be better in school.”

Parks said one goal he has is to impact not only education but the lives of his students, staff and Park families.

“The biggest goal that I have is (that) I want every staff member, student and family member I come in contact with to know that I’m here for the right reasons,” Parks said. “(To) impact achievement and education but also to see every student’s humanity and dignity in this building.”