Brrnnggg it’s Parks new lockdown policy

Administration adjusts to students needs
Alex Hoag
Art by Alex Hoag

As the new school year starts up, many changes to Parks safety system are being implemented. The approach to lockdown drills is being completely re-written, with students’ mental health being prioritized in accordance with a new legislative change.  

Principal LaNisha Paddock said Park’s new approach is spurred by a new perspective on the effect of lockdown drills brought to attention by the new changes in legislation.

“Now students can opt out. The legislature suggests that students and families should be informed when we’re going to do a drill,” Paddock said. “And then, if that’s the case, they would be able to opt out of the drill. So we kind of put it on pause for a minute.” 

Lockdown drills can be a triggering and overwhelming experience for many students. According to junior Annie Allard, the option to not participate in drills is an improvement. 

“I don’t talk about or think about it much but honestly, (I like) the way they are doing it now,” Allard said. “But if people aren’t feeling comfortable they should not participate.” 

Junior Clara Hammer said administration should be more open about new policies, so everyone is informed. 

“The amount of information they give us could be better,” Hammer said. “I know they can’t disclose everything, but they can be a little bit more specific with their announcements and that could help people stay safer.” 

According to Allard, the new policy is an important change for people in the building. 

“It’s good to practice and to help students know what to do if there’s an actual fire or a shooting. It’s good to know,” Allard said. 

Paddock said the change was made to improve how students perceive drills. 

“Not all students receive the drills the same way because of their lived experience and what they might be coming into an educational setting,” Paddock said. 

According to Hammer, communication from teachers should also be improved. 

“They could go over the designated area that we’re supposed to be in,” Hammer said. 

Paddock said staff are still learning to react in the proper way with the new changes and hope to provide more information to students soon. 

“It should have been communicated to students. What we would do in the event, (if) we had something happen in our school that we needed to go into lockdown,” Paddock said. “We’re still figuring out how we will participate and how we will engage students in those drills. More information to follow.”