Standardized testing takes on new approach

Park to move to online testing
Photo+illustration
Isaac Schulman
Photo illustration

With finals week coming up and non-stop tests, Park is taking a new approach to standardized testing. Park over the past few years has started to move towards online standardized testing, but with this comes new emotions from students and parents.

Junior Adam Rosvold says he thinks this could lead to a positive outcome for students, making them more comfortable to take standardized tests than in the past.

“I think it’s a way for students to be more comfortable with testing, because students use computers a lot more than paper so they’re more used to doing it,” Rosvold said. “I think, I just think, that computers are a good way to bring on more comfortability and standardized testing with students.” 

Junior Declan Gaines says he sees the move to digital testing as a negative thing that will hurt students. 

“I think studies have shown that testing students do worse on digital tests. It’s more difficult, like I promise,” said Gaines.  “It’s easier on paper to go through all the questions and save time. But on digital, it’s much more difficult.” 

According to Park mother and community member, Beth Stenglein, she feels that this does not matter as much as we think with students already doing most stuff on their computers.

“I think it’s fine. I think kids do a lot of stuff online. That’s how they do their homework. That’s how they do their assignments,” said Stenglein. “That’s how many tests are administered. So I don’t have any particular problem with it going online.” 

Stenglein said she feels that the test being online or on paper will not change the number of kids taking it. 

“I think it depends on what the purpose is like. I think the ACT, some kids will be very motivated by (it) because they know that it might help them with colleges, but at the same time, a lot of colleges aren’t requiring it anymore,” Stenglein said. “So motivation comes from the purpose of the test, whether it’s online or on paper.”

According to Rosvold, standardized tests don’t define who students really are.  But rather puts pressure on students to stress over tests. 

“I think they’re like an unnecessary way to judge a student and if a student doesn’t do well on it, it kind of messes up. It kind of sets them up for failure. If they don’t do well. It’s kind of a lot of pressure to put on students.” said Rosvold. 

Gaines says the pressure put on the tests is insurmountable. 

“There’s way too much pressure put on them. Like especially with a lot of colleges now test optional. Test everything and should determine,” Gaines said. “By doing these tests online students will be more interested in doing that. I don’t think students will be interested in standardized tests.” 

Stenglein says sometimes standardized tests can prove helpful, even though some might not see it that way. 

“I think sometimes it can measure stuff. I don’t think I’m somebody who thinks they should be completely eliminated. Because I do think there is a lot of great inflation. You know, but I think there has to be a way to make it meaningful to kids without thinking that that’s the only thing that measures how well they’re doing in school or you know, what they’re qualified for.” said Stenglein.

Overall, Rosvold said standardized tests are super intense, leading to less people taking it, even though the switch to online might help. 

“I think just in general, standardized tests, it’s a hard thing to do. It’s hard,” Rosvold said. “It’s hard to test you and standardized tests are really hard in general and I don’t think just because they’re gonna be going digital makes it any better really, other than just students being more comfortable using the computer over doing it on paper.”