American politics in school

How Park will prepare for 2024 presidential election

As election day, Nov. 5, comes closer and closer, all fronts of American politics are gearing up. Youth and students are getting ready in a similar fashion as some juniors and most seniors in high school will be able to vote for their president in Nov. Even sophomores who aren’t able to vote, so long as they are 16, will be able to pre-register to vote. All of this responsibility is something that students have been showing they do not take lightly, prevalent in the last election with the massive turnout in youth voters. A trend that doesn’t seem to be changing course, based off of the just as historic youth turnout for the midterms

Junior Evelyn Bot said it might be interesting to see how some kids take it seriously and some opt to not pay attention.  

“I think it’s going to be interesting, some kids are probably going to take it very seriously and find (the election) interesting and then other kids are going to not care whatsoever,” Bot said.

Social studies teacher Charles Mahaffey said his class is doing a unit on the three branches of government and has begun shifting the conversation to immigration, a topic that is most certainly going to be playing a major role in the election. 

“We are currently doing a unit on the branches of government,” Mahaffey said. “We are already shifting how we’re teaching it, teaching about immigration and how the different branches of government handle immigration because we know that this year immigration is probably going to be one of the most debated topics of the presidential election.”

Junior Geneva Wyant said her history class could potentially experience a shift. 

“My history class (could be affected), I know that we go out of our way compared to what my usual history classes in the past have done,” Wyant said. “It’s more of a deeper dive, where it really goes into race.”

Bot said students should do research and form their own thoughts and opinions about the election. 

“(People should) do a variety of research from different sources that are reliable, and form your own opinions, don’t just do what everyone’s telling you to do,” Bot said.

Mahaffey said space should be given to students to process the election and everything that comes along with it.

“I think we will have to do a lot to give students space to process what’s going on,” Mahaffey said.

Wayant said the election can affect students when a president brings up their ambitions. 

“I feel sometimes it can affect school when a president brings up what they want to do,” Wayant said.

Mahaffey said the election could affect because the media can harm students. 

“I think a lot of things that students deal with are going to be weaponized — reproductive rights, racial justice, climate change,” Mahaffey said. “I think students are going to need time and space to grapple with how candidates are talking about these .”