Students must question all perspectives

Students should develop their own political views via independent research rather than from the influence of peers.

Nietzsche Deuel

As the election approaches, students must critically analyze all information presented to them when forming their own political opinions. It is important students do not unquestionably accept the views of their parents or peers. They must learn to think critically for themselves. Parents teach their children what they think is right but it may leave students with a limited view on the world. Often first nature for children is to believe what their parents tell them about politics, but as children grow up, it’s important they form opinions independently. Students must not blindly adopt the views of their parents. The problems that face students are not the same problems that face their parents. The generation gap is significant enough that the political views of parents don’t always align with the problems affecting this generation. Students educating themselves on the effects of politics, compared to how they affect their parents and grandparents, is important when forming a political view. Not questioning anythingforms a bad habit and decreases dialogue between majority and dissenting opinions. Students must not be afraid to disagree and be the voice of dissent. High school is a critical point in young people’s lives. Students are exposed to many more views and opinions than ever before, and begin to see the world as more than what their parents showed them. Students must make the decision to take these views and opinions they are presented with in high school and use them to formulate their own views on politics and the world. The editorial board unanimously agrees that students must do their own research of American politics, using reliable and unbiased resources, to make their political decisions. Students shouldn’t use social media as a political information resource. There is risk of becoming misinformed when students receive all of their political information on social media sites. Young people must also be informed in the political world as a whole. Many students don’t pay attention to politics if it’s not the presidential election. The drop off of attention of politics after presidential elections causes students to be uninformed about issues. Being able to evaluate information is an important skill to have in life, regardless of the situation. Students must analyze what they are being told and form their own educated opinion. Students need to educate themselves regardless of what they hear from parents or elsewhere. They must do their own research with reliable and unbiased sources so they can formulate their own political opinions and views.