Controversial changes affect orchestra class

Rule modifications impact student participation

Evelyn Nelson, Writer

This article has been changed to correct errors. Echo apologizes for the mistakes.

Walking into orchestra class for me has always felt inviting, relieving and especially fun. However, walking into the classroom on the start of this school year felt the exact opposite. The new Park orchestra changes have dulled the spark I once felt toward the class.

The high school orchestra program is most known for building character, knowledge and communities. Orchestra for many is a program you can stick with for long periods of time, with several students in their eighth, ninth and 10th years of playing. However, with the new syllabus and overall changes in orchestra classes, some students including myself are having second thoughts on sticking with the program.
At the commencement of the 2017-2018 school year, high school orchestra director Miriam Edgar set several new class changes from the previous years in hopes to provide a better classroom environment and raise the program to its highest capabilities. However, these new changes are not always benefitting student’s enjoyment and participation of the class.

According to Edgar, changes were made to the syllabus in hopes to combat issues presented last year. Some of these include students missing large portions of class for bathroom breaks and cell phone use, lacking accountability in making up work, inadequate notification prior to concert absences, and overall issues of engagement.

The orchestra Syllabus Update Form states dress code now requires full length dresses, skirts and pants. This means that if a student chooses to wear a dress, skirt or pants they must extend to ankle length or longer when sitting down. Edgar said the dress code was modified in hopes to promote a more professional and less revealing ensemble at orchestra concerts.

This dress code adds difficulty for some students who may not own a full length dress, skirt or black pants off hand. Plus, players may need extra leg room to play their instrument. This rule may affect those who choose to not wear full length pants at concerts or other events.  

Additionally, the syllabus now states an absence will result in a zero out of a five for daily participation points. In order to make up these points, students must come in before school, during an open hour or during a study hall for 45 minutes to make up what was missed. If the absence occurs on a Monday or a Friday, a classmate will also be required to attend the makeup.

However, this becomes a problem when students have other important duties besides the orchestra class. I have had transportation issues when getting to or leaving school. This new concept does not help me or other students who are facing the same problem.

Some, including myself, have considered dropping the program entirely. These changes influenced my decision to quit orchestra because of the stress they created. It is unfortunate how the program has changed from a relaxing and enjoyable class, to the opposite.

Edgar commented on how she understands students are unhappy about the changes, but feels that to better the orchestra ensemble the rules had to be put in place in hopes of positive results.