Logan Paul represents everything wrong with social media

YouTube star faces backlash over comments on being gay

Emma Leff

Only a year after Logan Paul caused outrage after he shared a disrespectful video of a suicide victim in a Japanese forest, the YouTube star is once again at the center of another controversy. Earlier this month, Paul released an episode of his podcast “Impaulsive” where he says he is “going to attempt to go gay for just one month.

Paul is directly implying that being gay is a choice. This message could have a strong impact on his largely-teen audience. The LGBTQ+ community has worked for decades trying to show that being gay isn’t something you can decide to be or not to be, and now Paul has slowed this progress. He should be using his platform to help and encourage teens who are struggling with their sexual/gender identity, but instead he chooses to perpetuate the hurtful misconception that being gay is a conscious choice a person makes.

These events display how Paul either ignores or doesn’t understand the line between funny and offensive. If this was the first time Paul had done something like this, it would be easier to accept that it was just a lapse of judgement. However, it is not the first time. In late 2017, Paul released the single “No Handlebars,” which drew criticism due to the song’s sexist lyrics. Only months later, he uploaded the video in the suicide forest where he appears to make fun of a suicide victim, and now he offends the LGBTQ+ community.

It is hard to believe one person can make this many mistakes and not have learned their lesson. Without any talent to support his career, Paul decides to antagonize others in order to stay relevant in the constantly changing world of social media, rather than choosing to be a decent human being. To make matters worse, his apologies for these events are not even close to genuine. 

No one should be supporting someone who spreads ignorance and stupidity.”

After facing immediate backlash, including from the Gay and Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation (GLAAD), Paul tweeted that it was a “very poor choice of words,” and invited GLAAD on his podcast. Although some might mistake this for an apology, this is simply another publicity stunt for him to profit off of this controversy.

With everything that has happened, I cannot comprehend how Paul’s YouTube channel still has well over 18 million subscribers. No one should be supporting someone who spreads ignorance and stupidity. His followers allow him to have a platform that he doesn’t deserve and continues to misuse. 

We have a responsibility to ensure that people who disrespect others to gain popularity do not succeed. It reflects poorly on us all that someone like Paul can achieve this level of popularity and fame, while people who deserve recognition are going unnoticed. I strongly recommend blocking him on all social media platforms to prevent him from gaining any more fame than he already has.

Emma Leff, Copy Editor

Hi, I am Emma Leff. I am a junior and I like to play soccer. I enjoy naps, chilling with my dog and grocery shopping. Target is my favorite place and I...