Tiger Woods proves to be an all-American hero

Best golfer deserves Presidential Medal of Freedom

Adin Zweigbaum

After one of the greatest comebacks of all time, professional golfer Tiger Woods is completely deserving of the Presidential Medal of Freedom.

Established in Executive Order 9586 and signed by former President Harry S. Truman, the purpose of the Presidential Medal of Freedom was to recognize notable service by civilians during World War II. However, former President John F. Kennedy expanded the award to include cultural contributions to society as well.

Sports are a major part of American culture, golf included. With golf being one of President Trump’s favorite sports, it makes sense he considers it a large part of his culture too. For this reason, it’s logical for Trump to award this honor to the best golfer.

Tiger Woods is a national hero, at least in the sports world. With numerous awards, such as the PGA Player of the Year and the Byron Nelson Award, both being received many times, it’s reasonable for Woods to be considered the best.

In 1997, less than a year after going pro, Woods reached the number one position in the world golf rankings. Since then he has spent the most consecutive weeks and total time in that position. Woods really is the greatest golfer of all time.

Woods has received four back surgeries since 2014. However, even under these circumstances Woods still made a full recovery and won the 2019 Masters tournament.

Many might disagree, but athletes are undoubtedly American heroes. Entertainers bring fans of all different backgrounds together. In a time with so much controversy, it’s important for there to be connections between citizens.

Sports acts as a connector between those who, without sports, might not find any common ground. Entertainment is a shared joy that everyone of every background can enjoy.

By being one of the greatest golfers of all time, Woods has brought fans from all backgrounds together and will continue doing so. With his countless contributions to American culture and society, Woods deserves the Presidential Medal of Freedom.

Adin Zweigbaum, Writer

Hi I’m Adin Zweigbaum, I’m a sophomore this is my first year in Echo. I play ultimate frisbee and football. When I’m not at school I’m either playing...