Varied voices crucial to change

As the St. Louis Park School District sets goals and strategic plans for the next five years, it is crucial students are involved in the planning process.

There is no better way to gain student perspective on issues than to involve them in planning processes.

The upcoming world cafes will be a great first step in allowing students to voice their opinions on issues regarding the school, district and community. Beyond the world cafes, student involvement on the core planning team for strategic planning will give students maximum influence in matters regarding their education and the future of the school district.

However, it is not just the responsibility of the school to ensure positions for students on this core planning team. It is even more so the responsibility of students to take action, contribute to the world cafes and apply to fill positions on the core planning team. Reserving spots for students on these committees is meaningless if students do not take advantage of the opportunities provided for them.

Offering students the opportunity to influence the future of the district is only beneficial if students are willing to step up and devote the necessary time to serving on this committee and making legitimate contributions to discussions and planning.

The district’s plans for involving students in the strategic planning process are commendable, but they shouldn’t just stop with the core planning team.

While the school has been proactive in providing students the opportunity to contribute to the strategic planning process, it will be just as important to include students in the selection process for a new principal.

Student involvement in public panels is the first step, but the soon-to-be-created interview board should feature student voices and opinions.

Student perspectives are invaluable when it comes to determining new school leadership, as this leadership will affect their educations.

Student involvement in these processes is a two-way street. It requires efforts from the school to offer students positions, but it also requires initiative from students to volunteer to fill these positions and make legitimate, quality contributions to the process.

With the many changes currently taking place in our district, there’s no better time to give students a chance to voice their opinions.