Staff Editorial: March against fossil fuels encourages change

On Sunday, Oct. 28 an anti-fossil fuel march was held in St. Paul, Minnesota in solidarity with Youth v. Gov suing the federal government for the cause of climate change.

Students organized the march to show they are the future and to stand with the 21 youths who are bringing the case to trial. According to Youth v. Gov, the federal government has knowingly used harmful fossil fuels. The case states that the government has violated the youngest generations right to life, liberty, and property.

Editorial Board believes the march’s relatively low turnout should be a reason to promote events like this more and get more people involved in social issues. The march was promoted throughout the high school with posters and a Facebook event was used to generate more attention. We believe with more publicity, many other students may have attended.

Because the event was student-run and organized, there were many young kids involved, including people not yet eligible to vote or even preparing to vote.

The Editorial Board encourages continuing events like these because they make large impacts on everyone. Students must remember that even when there is distance between them and the problem they can still support as it affects more than just one group of people. If you want a big change, unite.