Staff Editorial: Minneapolis 2040 Plan will improve St. Louis Park

The+view+of+the+Minneapolis+skyline+from+Lake+of+the+Isles+during+the+sunrise.+

The view of the Minneapolis skyline from Lake of the Isles during the sunrise.

Grace Farley

Grace Farley

Grace Farley

The Minneapolis 2040 Comprehensive Plan will allow for the production of new higher density living conditions throughout the city. The plan’s zoning changes are the primary action that alter the city, allowing developers to build certain types of apartments in new neighborhoods. These changes will allow many more families to move into and around the city because of the lowered prices.

The Echo Editorial Board believes through increased high density living closer to potential employers, families that may have struggled in their prior communities could receive an influx of job opportunities.

The Echo Editorial Board also thinks the future changes that will follow the enforcement of the plan will help to unite communities across Minneapolis and the West Metro.

The new living areas are to be built across Minneapolis, which could prove to be a large step in the right direction toward racial equity by providing increased opportunity to those who have been plagued by disenfranchised neighborhoods as well as those influenced by the remnants of legal and societal segregation.

Acknowledging there are several worries associated with the plan, the Echo Editorial Board has concluded the pros outweigh the cons. Though environmental concerns have been raised via lawsuit, the Echo Editorial Board believes it is up to the Metropolitan Council to take problems into account after analyzing the plan.

St. Louis Park may experience a population increase, a positive change often associated with economic growth. Additionally, new perspectives may come with new people, diversifying the views within St. Louis Park. 

The Echo Editorial Board encourages Park students to welcome anyone who moves into the school district. With the potential St. Louis Park population change as a result of the plan, we must hold a positive attitude to create a more accepting environment.

The Echo Editorial Board believes the 2040 Comprehensive Plan will improve the entire West Metro area, including St. Louis Park. We must open a door for others who need help.