Celebrating holidays across cultures

Kaylee Chamberlain

Colors spray through the air as people celebrate the victory of good over evil as well as love. The Hindu festival of Pagawa, also know as the festival of color, is an event junior Totaram Brijmohan has been celebrating since he could remember.

“Pagawa is fun because you get to spray colored water on other people and throw colored powder too,” Brijmohan said. “One year for Pagawa we had the whole school playing, that was the best day of kindergarten ever.”

Brijmohan also said giant fires are built in honor of this holiday and burned down to the ground.

“We get to make a giant bonfire as tall as the senior wall and burn it down,” Brijmohan said.

Brijmohan attended a small school in Guyana where the majority of the population is Hindu.

“Growing up in Guyana impacted my heritage a lot because the people of Guyana love celebrating all types of holidays,” Brijmohan said.

Along with Pagawa, Brijmohan celebrates the festival of lights called Diwali. For Diwali, Brijmohan said his family and friends light clay lamps and set off fireworks in celebration.

“I remember the time I lit my first firework,” Brijmohan said. “That was awesome.”

In addition to fireworks, churches all participate in a parade in celebration of this holiday.

“There is a parade and lots of firecrackers for Diwali,” Brijmohan said. “The mandir or church with the best parade wins something.”

But Brijmohan doesn’t stop at Pagawa and Diwali, he also enjoys the christian holidays of Christmas and Easter.

“I grew up liking all types of holidays though hindu is my main religion,” Brijmohan said. “I can gladly say that I am also a Christian.”