Junior provides positivity for swim team

Claudia Stone exhibits passion for sport, teammates

Junior+Claudia+Stone+swims+freestyle+at+the+team%27s+meet+against+Benilde+-+St.+Margaret%27s+at+St.+Louis+Park+Junior+High+on+Oct.+5.+

Junior Claudia Stone swims freestyle at the team's meet against Benilde - St. Margaret's at St. Louis Park Junior High on Oct. 5.

Cecil Jacobson

Cecil Jacobson

Cecil Jacobson

Sophie Yarosh and Maddie Lund

As junior Claudia Stone thinks about some of her favorite times on the high school swim team, she said her most memorable moments were those spent with her teammates.

“I enjoy (swimming) because the team is really great and I like all the girls which makes it really fun,” Stone said.

Stone said she began swimming when she was 5, and her mom inspired her to begin.

“My mom was a swimmer and she’s a coach on the club team, so I guess she is one of the reasons I started,” Stone said.

Girls’ swimming head coach Joe Yaeger said Stone is one of his hardest workers, and he knows he can count on her if the team is in a bind.

“(Stone) is one of my most reliable swimmers. I always know she is going to give 110 percent to whatever she does,” Yaeger said.

Stone said she swims many events for the team, but backstroke is her biggest strength.

“I’m kind of all over the place,” Stone said. “(I swim) mostly backstroke, like the 50 meter on the relay and then the 100 meter backstroke, and then freestyle in relays.”

According to Yaeger, Stone brings many positive characteristics to the team that younger swimmers aspire to have.

“(Stone) brings leadership, and I know a lot of the girls look up to her. She also brings experience because she has been swimming on the team since seventh grade,” Yaeger said.

Stone and the team’s next meet is Sections, which is 5 p.m. Nov. 9 at the Art Downey Aquatic Center in South View.

Sophie Yarosh, Copy Editor

Hi everybody my name is Sophie Yarosh! My best and only friend is my grandma, oh and she’s also my lover. You can find me in the bathroom because I’m...

Maddie Lund, Features Editor

Hey! My name is Maddie Lund and I am one of the features editors for the Echo! I am a senior this year. You can almost always find me at Spyhouse Coffee...