Junior scores 36 on ACT

Jack Ostrovsky earns perfect score on college admission test

Junior Jack Ostrovsky works in class on November 9. Ostrovsky scored a 36 on his first ACT in September.

Emma Kempf

Emma Kempf

Sumaya Mohamed

Going in to take the American College Testing Sept. 9, junior Jack Ostrovsky said he felt confident because of all the hard work he put into studying over the summer.

“I took a lot of practice tests and then I reviewed my answers that I got wrong so I wouldn’t make the same mistake the next time,” Ostrovsky said. “I spread it out over the summer, so I started (practicing) in June, and it kind of just carried over until the beginning of September.”

College Possible coach Pang Yang said the American College Testing (ACT) test helps students become recognized by colleges and universities.

“Here in the Midwest, we do the standardized testing called the ACT, and everywhere else they take the SAT,” Yang said. “This test is really important because it’s one of many indicators that colleges accept students into their universities.”

Ostrovsky said he felt thrilled when he received his test score.

“I was really excited, and I knew I was going to get a pretty high score from my practice tests, but I don’t think it would be a 36. That was really unlikely,” Ostrovsky said.

Senior Ruwayda Said said she thinks the ACT tests are helpful to those students who don’t perform as well in school.

“(The ACT is) something alternative for colleges to look to if your grades aren’t holding up, and that’s important for those who might struggle on some classes but still want to prove themselves,” Said said.

Ostrovsky believes the ACT is an important way to prepare students for a higher education level.

“ACT testing is important because it’s a really important test for college readiness, so I knew it was important for my future,” Ostrovsky said.

Yang said she helps the juniors enrolled in College Possible with ACT preparations.

“My role here with college possible is basically just to guide the juniors and help them strategize how to get through the ACT, practice the ACT a couple of times so they feel comfortable,” Yang said. “I just basically help them prepare for the ACT and improve.”

Said suggests the best way to study is by taking practice tests and reviewing constantly.

“I would recommend taking the PSAT a couple of times if you can, buying or checking out ACT prep books from the library and finding a little time to study every day or at least once a week,” Said said.

According to the Twin Cities Pioneer Press, every junior in the state of Minnesota is required to take the ACT. This test is organized to help students be recognized by colleges and is a criteria colleges and universities looks for in addition to grade point average (GPA) and class rank.