Ilsa Olsen’s art places third at State Fair

Senior's watercolor flowers win

Senior+Ilsa+Olsen+practices+her+painting+skills+after+school+Sept.+18.+Olsen+won+third+place+for+her+watercolor+art+piece+at+the+State+Fair.+

Senior Ilsa Olsen practices her painting skills after school Sept. 18. Olsen won third place for her watercolor art piece at the State Fair.

Sophie Olmen

Sophie Olmen

Sophie Olmen

Noah Orloff

Senior Ilsa Olsen said enthusiasm was her first reaction after receiving the news that she had placed third in a State Fair art competition.

“I was really excited. I was actually at tennis practice, so I think it gave me a boost of energy there and I was just really happy,” Olsen said.

Senior Marian Mohamud said she felt joy when finding out about Ilsa’s award, which led her to see it.

“I was actually really really proud of her when I heard about it because she told me initially so I couldn’t wait to actually see the art,” Mohamud said.

According to Olsen, the competition allowed artists submit work in many forms.

“It was the K-12 competition at the State Fair for art so you could enter any type of art that you wanted,” Olsen said. “I am really into watercolors and specifically watercolor flowers, so I decided to paint these pink watercolor flowers. I think they are peonies.”

Olsen said she was inspired last year to enter, but was unable to meet the deadline, which led to her submitting this year.

“I’ve gone to the State Fair all my life,” Olsen said. “I have seen that t

here is different competitions, so me and my mom checked online to see if they happened to have a kid’s art one that I could enter in. I wanted to do it last year, but was too late to do it, so I decided last year that I’d do it this year.”

According to Olsen, submitting to the competition alone was enjoyable, but winning was a nice addition.

“I was just excited to enter because it was something fun. But I was hoping that I’d place obviously,” Olsen said.

Mohamud said Olsen’s achievement portrays the variation in skills at Park.

“I believe it shows the different qualities and diversity of our school and how many people have different types of talents,” Mohamud said.

Noah Orloff, Copy Editor

My name is Noah and I am a sophomore copy editor. Writing is something that I love to do, but I  also can be seen walking my neighbor’s dog. He is a...