Girls’ hockey finishes successful season

Team accomplishes season goals, wrap up on positive note

Jackson Eilers, Assisstant Copy Editor

As senior captain Sophia Noreen skated onto the ice Wednesday for what could have been the last game of her high school career, she felt nervous, excited and nostalgic.

“I have been on the team since eighth grade and after five years I was sad hockey might not be a part of my life anymore after this game,” Noreen said. “I think this helped motivate us to win.”

Going into its first section game Wednesday, Feb. 4 against Minneapolis, the girls’ had a record of 9-15-0 and a goal of winning a section game and winning the tenth game of the season according to Noreen.

The team won 4-3 Wednesday, Feb. 4, accomplishing both of its season goals in one game during the most successful season in more than five years.

“It was amazing. I was really proud of my team and how we played,” Noreen said. “We never gave up.”

This year is freshman Katie Fredrickson’s first year on the team and she said she was happy the girls’ won the game for the seniors, as they accomplished their goals in one of their last games.

“It was a really big deal and I’m happy to be a part of a winning team,” Fredrickson said. “I was happy for the seniors and the team.”

Coach Charlie McChesney said he was pleased with the game, as it exemplified how the girls’ hard work throughout the season payed off.

“We just finished a few tough games in a difficult conference but that helped prepare us for other games,” McChesney said. “It was nice to see some girls who have been working hard the whole season step up (Wednesday) and help us out.”

According to McChesney, the section win was the first time in six years that the girls’ program has won a section game.

“The seniors have more wins this season than all of their past seasons combined,” McChesney said. “We are losing four valuable players this year but we are gaining five. We have the potential to be better next year.”

According to Noreen, the seniors want to have fun and enjoy their time on the ice as the last few games of the season approach but are looking back at the success’ of their final season.

“Our team was a lot more positive throughout the season and that helped our effort to work on new skills,” Noreen said. “We were not afraid of failing anymore.”

As for the younger players on the team, looking to the future holds potential for more success in the girls’ program.

“I definitely feel we improved over the season. Our passing got better and we gelled as a team.” Fredrickson said. “Hopefully next year we win another sections game and maybe even two.”

The girls’ next section game is at 5:30 p.m. Friday, Feb. 6 against Blake at Parade stadium in Minneapolis.