Girls’ swimming wins last home meet

Team places second in the conference

Sophomore Franny Bevel swims the 100m Butterfly. The team won against Bloomington Jefferson 51.5-42.5.

Adam Johnson

Adam Johnson

Sophie Yarosh

When senior girls swimming captain Izzy Leviton heard the final score of the swim meet, she jumped and screamed as she realized the team took second place in the conference.

According to Leviton, the girls’ swim team won 51.5-42.5 in their final home meet Oct. 12 against Bloomington Jefferson.

Leviton said although she was joyful about the team’s victory, the meet was bittersweet because it was her last time swimming in Park’s pool.

“We’re really happy to end our season on such a positive note. Getting second in the conference is a really big accomplishment,” Leviton said. “It’s kind of sad though because it was our last home meet, but we’re really happy because we had such a great season.”

Coach Joe Yaeger said he was impressed with how the girls swam.

“We match up very well with (Jefferson). The girls swam very well,” Yaeger said. “All across the board there were great races.”

Yaeger said he enjoyed watching his seniors race on senior night.

“(My favorite part of the meet was) watching the seniors swim. The senior relay, the 200 medley relay at the beginning and just overall their entire swim this meet,” Yaeger said.

Freshman swimmer Lily Metzler said the meet was an overall success.

“I think the team did really well,” Metzler said. “There were some bad races and some really good races, but we all just brushed it off and did better on our next one.”

Senior captain Nicole Sanford said although the team was under a lot of pressure throughout the meet, the girls performed extremely well.

“The meet was amazing. I am immensely proud of all of the girls’ effort,” Sanford said. “This meet was really intense, the stakes were kind of high (and) it determined whether we were second or third in the conference,” Sanford said.

According to Leviton, the last event was the most intense and exciting race.

“The last event was the most important because it was the 400 free relay and relays score more points than regular events,” Leviton said. “So if we won the relay then we would’ve won the meet and it came really close but we ended up winning the relay.”

Yager said he is looking forward to the girls making slight changes in their races to prepare for Sections.

“I’m looking forward for the girls to really fine tune some swims a little,” Yaeger said. “We’re needing a little bit of fine-tuning on certain aspects of each swim, but this Saturday (at our next meet), I’m really looking to see where the girls match up to Edina and some of the bigger schools.”

The next meet is an invitational meet. The meet takes place at 10 a.m. Oct. 14 at Art Downey Aquatic Center.

Sophie Yarosh, Copy Editor

Hi everybody my name is Sophie Yarosh! My best and only friend is my grandma, oh and she’s also my lover. You can find me in the bathroom because I’m always pooping, but if I’m not there I’m probably on the phone with my mom. She’s my third best friend. Hit my line if you want to talk about bodily functions, being stressed out or how to not take accidental three hour naps. My catchphrases include, “boi what are thooooose,” “does my outfit look okay,” and “my mom is so mad at me because I didn’t clean my room.” Oh also I’m a Copy Editor.

Adam Johnson, Video/Broadcast Editor

Hey, what’s going on? My name is Adam Johnson and I guess I’m a writer and photographer for this thing called the Echo. Mostly I just take photos though. I’m a junior here and it’s my second year chilling out in the pub. I enjoy hanging out with friends, sleeping, playing tennis, and pretty much repeating this. I am the captain now…for tennis…you just got served.