Band fundraises for spring trip

Group finds support through local restaurants

Band fundraises for spring trip

The band held a fundraiser in December at the Knollwood Mall Applebee's to raise money for their trip to Hawaii. The band will hold similar fundraisers through January at locations such as Blaze Pizza, Park Yogurt, and Chipotle.

Emma Kempf

Emma Kempf

Emma Kempf

Emma Kempf and Maddie Lund

Through several restaurant locations, the band will make efforts to fundraise through the month of January for their upcoming trip to Hawaii this spring, according to band director Steven Schmitz.

Junior trumpet player Ben Klepfer said the Hawaii trip is one of the most expensive trips the band has been on, leading to the most fundraising the band has done in the past few years.

“We’re just trying to cut the amount of money that individual people have to spend on (the trip),” Klepfer said. “It helps people with more complicated financial situations be able to come on the trip.”

According to Schmitz, the band’s goal is to raise a total of twenty thousand dollars for the trip.

“We’re at about half of that or a little more as of now,” Schmitz said. “What (the money) will do is create scholarships for people that are in financial need so they can travel with us, and also it takes some of the cost down for every student who’s traveling whether they’re in need or not.”

Schmitz said the fundraising helps increase equity within the band program.

“We have people who can’t afford (the trip), and we’re really trying for equity so our ratio of student of color in the program matches our ratio of students of color that can travel,” Schmitz said.

According to Schmitz, the band spent all of December fundraising through Applebee’s.

“They were very generous, giving us fifteen percent all month for all hours that they were open,” Schmitz said.

In January, Schmitz said the band will raise money through business sales at the Knollwood Mall Blaze Pizza on Jan.11, at the Knollwood Panera on Jan. 17 from 4 p.m. to 8 p.m., at Park Yogurt on Jan. 22-31 and at Chipotle fon Jan. 29 from 4p.m. to 8 p.m.

Schmitz said the fundraising will end with the band’s annual bowling raffle and silent auction at Park Tavern on Feb. 11 from 1 p.m. to 3 p.m.

“We’re hoping that’ll get us to the 20,000 — all of those (fundraisers),” Schmitz said.

Students can help the band raise money by presenting fundraiser flyers with their purchase at each venue on the fundraising day.

Emma Kempf, Photo Editor

Hey I’m Emma Kempf and I’m one of this years photo editors! One time I convinced a friend for a month that I owned the Kemp ice cream company and  just...

Maddie Lund, Features Editor

Hey! My name is Maddie Lund and I am one of the features editors for the Echo! I am a senior this year. You can almost always find me at Spyhouse Coffee...