Students must understand consequences, reasons for walkout

Speakers+and+students+stand+on+stage+at+the+Protect+Minnesota+rally+regarding+recent+school+shootings+and+gun+violence+in+our+country%2C+Feb.+22.+

Speakers and students stand on stage at the Protect Minnesota rally regarding recent school shootings and gun violence in our country, Feb. 22.

Grace Farely

Grace Farely

Grace Farely

Students who wish to participate in a walkout during school hours should be aware of the consequences which come with this protest. Those who walkout of class will be marked absent from the classes they miss.

According to American Civil Liberties Union, the students are required by law to attend class, meaning schools are allowed to discipline students for missing class.

However, school officials cannot apply additional punishment because of the nature of the walkout, therefore students will not be disciplined specifically because they participated, only because they were absent from class.

Students need to ask themselves why they are involved and if they truly support the issue.”

According to administration, students will be allowed to re-enter the high school to resume their classes. Also note that teachers and staff cannot participate in a walkout.

Students should only participate in a walkout because they believe in changes advocated by the walkout. They must know what they are marching for.

Walkouts are organized surrounding serious issues, and should not be used as an excuse to skip class. They are meant to take action and should not be taken lightly.

Students need to ask themselves why they are involved and if they truly support the issue. Students should march not because everyone else is doing so, but because they support the movement themselves.

While Echo cannot legally support students walking out of class, we encourage students using their voice to support major causes they believe in. Students should, however, have a clear understanding of the movements they are participating in, as well as the consequences that come with participation.

If students want to participate in a march that does not occur during school hours, “March for Our Lives” will be taking place 10 a.m. March 24 at the Minnesota Capitol Building. More information regarding March for Our Lives can be found on its website.

1 Comment

One Response to “Students must understand consequences, reasons for walkout”

1. serenity james on March 14th, 2018 3:57 am

Hi I live in queens, nyc. I go to a very unknown school called Pathways College Prep. Later on today some of our high schoolers will be actively participating in the enough walkout: 17 victims for 17 minutes and I thought it would be nice to let other people know what I am walking for. I’m walking out for all the people who are different & for all the people that have died from sandy hook to virginia tech. I want to live in a country where people don’t have to die before we can get some action. we have had enough. we do not feel safe. tomorrow I will walk strong with my beliefs and my poster held high.

• Students must understand consequences, reasons for walkout

Holiday Train returns to Park

GSA provides safe space

Winter sports

Boys’ hockey experiences first loss

Students wait months to take driver’s test

Let’s talk race

STEP hosts toy drive, cheesecake sampling

Winter sports

Boys’ hockey wins home opener

Winter sports

Girls’ basketball sees early season success

Winter sports

Girls’ hockey loses close game to Benilde

Winter sports

Boys’ hockey wins season opener