Ultimate chooses tournaments for the season

Weather affects the team’s preparation for games

Ultimate junior captain Daniel Hunegs passes the frisbee to a teammate at practice. The team is preparing for their tournament April 28-29.

Grace Farley

Grace Farley

Grace Farley

According to junior ultimate captain Daniel Hunegs, the head coach of the team decides what tournaments the team will play in based on player’s flexibility regarding practices and holidays.

“Spencer, our head coach, determines (the tournaments). We were deciding between two tournaments,” said Huneges. “One of the tournaments (was) on Mother’s Day, and he didn’t like that, so he decided to do the tournament the weekend after that, which is in Apple Valley.”

Head coach Spencer Hagen said the team will be participating in various other tournaments around the metro area leading up to the state tournament June 2-3, along with one tournament in Wisconsin April 28-29.

“We are doing the Madison Mud Bath in a couple of weeks, a developmental one day tournament in Edina the 14th and Chris Goeke in Apple Valley in May,” Hunegs said. “Then we have the state tournament, which is the first weekend in June.”

According to Hunegs, the team looks forward to traveling to Madison for the Mud Bath tournament because all participants are from a variety of states.

“I am most excited for Mud Bath because it’s fun to travel with the team, and it’s always fun to play against teams that are from Wisconsin,” Hunegs said. “We played a team from Missouri last year and that was really cool.”

Hagen said he feels the tournaments Hunegs chose to compete in this year, will help the team gain momentum going into the more significant tournaments toward the end of the season.

“I have a feeling we will do really well in the later games this year because we will have a lot more experience at that point,” said Hagen.

Hunegs said so far the team has mainly been focusing on conditioning due to the weather conditions but working on strength will still really help them perform well in their games and tournaments.

“We are doing a lot more conditioning because we don’t have a lot of time to put in game strategy at this point because there is not enough space for it,” Hunegs said.

According to Hunegs, boys’ and girls’ ultimate will compete in the Madison Mud Bath tournament April 28-29.

Ella Hammerstrand, photographer

Hi, I’m Ella! I am a sophomore and new to the Echo this year. My position is photographer but I also hope to do some design stuff. Most of my time outside...