Choir ends on high note

Senior solos highlight last concert

Jacob Stillman

Seniors Atticus Raasch and William Phelan sing 'Journey On' from Ragtime as a part of the senior recitals May 30.

The audience erupted in cheers as the choir seniors finished their a cappella performance of ‘Man in the Mirror’ by Michael Jackson, marking the end of the last choir performance for those seniors.

Choir director John Myszkowski said he feels a connection and sense of pride in the seniors beyond their musical performance skills.

“I definitely love these kids,” Myszkowski said. “I was thinking as they were singing if I was their parent, I would have just been bawling in the audience, so they are wonderful human beings.”

According to senior Thomas Bryant, it was special to share the moment with his peers who he has been participating in choir with for a long time.

“It was amazing to see these people who I have grown up with, some of them since kindergarten, some of them as little as four years,” Bryant said. “(I) know that this is our moment and that we have all really grown in our time together.”

Myszkowski said he enjoyed seeing students who tended to be shy go out and perform on a big stage.

“The biggest thing is that when I heard kids tonight, (many) were kids that were in a lot of ways very quiet and team players and for them to kind of make that step into the arena of ‘I am all by myself I am the only person I can depend on is me’ is huge,” Myszkowski said.

Senior Ben Romain, who performed the song ‘The Weight’ by The Band, said this performance and song choice capped off his high school choir tenure in a unique way.

“(The concert) was special because it was closing the book on four years of doing choir, and it was special because I got to do a song that is one of my favorites and is meaningful to me,” Romain said.

Jacob Stillman, Sports Editor
Hello everyone, my name is Jacob, your co-sports editor. People often confuse me with Shaquille O’Neal and Michael Jordan because of our shared dunking ability. I participate in competitive coin collecting competitions across the country, and am currently ranked #7 in America. I am also co-founder of a premier, select, elite ping-pong team through the...