Soccer captain to play in Germany

Zinedine Kroeten prepares for new adventure

Senior Zinedine Kroeten strikes the ball passing it to a fellow teammate during the game against Washburn Oct. 6. The game ended in Park's demise with a final score of 1-2.

Sophie Livingston

Sophie Livingston

Tamar Gewirtz

This coming winter, senior soccer player Zinedine Kroeten will be going off to Germany to play for soccer team Werderbrenem. According to Kroeten, this opportunity arose only recently.

“I went to guest play for this team in Chicago. I did really well there, so the coach of the team showed the videos of me to his German friends at Breman, and they liked me so they wanted to fly me over,” said Kroeten.

Kroeten said he is elated since not many high school students get the opportunity to play for a sports team abroad. Park soccer coach Chato Alvarado shares in Kroeten’s excitement.

“This will be the first time we have had someone be presented with an opportunity like this. I think he will do very well,” Alvarado said.

Kroeten said he acknowledges how the change in the intensity of play will be a new and difficult challenge.

“The level is definitely going to be higher than high school level, but I think I can fit in there, but I’m not sure yet so I’m just going to try my best,” said Kroeten.

Alvarado said he agrees that the playing there will be completely different from what Kroeten is used to.

“It is a very different level of soccer. It is like going to play from the high school team to going to play for an NBA team in basketball. He is going to face really strong competition,” Alvarado said.

Despite challenges, Kroeten said he maintains a positive attitude.

“I just hope that I learn soccer at the highest level,” Kroeten said.

Alvarado said he wishes the best for Kroeten in this upcoming adventure.

“I hope he enjoys the experience because it is an awesome experience,” Alvarado said.

Tamar Gewirtz, Writer

Hey, Tamar here! One of my favorite things to do is to travel, especially out of the country, mainly because I love trying new foods and seeing new places....