Girls’ swimming places second in Sections

Park individuals prepare for State

Sophomore Grace Loveland swims backstroke in the 200-yard individual medley Nov. 8. Park placed second overall at Sections.

Sophie Olmen

Sophie Olmen

Sophie Olmen

Sophie Olmen and Hayley Westwood

According to senior captain Claudia Stone, Park preformed well at Sections with certain individuals and relays qualifying for State.

“Sections went very well overall. We were able to qualify two relays and three individuals to State. This is a huge accomplishment especially because it’s for class AA state,” Stone said.

Coach Amanda Forsberg said the team competed well in Sections Nov. 8 and 10, including multiple accomplishments.

“The team exceeded all our expectations. We broke some team records, we sent a big group to State, Hattie (Kugler) was section champion,” Forsberg said.

Senior Mazie Lainsbury said Park broke team records and had specific people qualify for State.

“Other then getting second there where a good amount of school records broken and state qualifiers in individuals and medleys which is super fun to watch and be a part of,” Lainsbury said.

Forsberg said she was proud of the team placing second.

“I was most proud of getting second that was unexpected we kind of came out of nowhere for a lot of teams, I know that we moved up a lot of places getting second was a huge accomplishment,” Forsberg said.

Stone said the accomplishments of the team came from working together.

“I am most proud of the way that our team has come together and worked together. Our accomplishments were definitely a team effort and it was very cool to see even our JV girls come to watch,” Stone said.

According to Lainsbury, to make it to State the team had to move past the first day to the second.

“To make it back to second day finals, relays have to be top eight and individuals have to be top 16. In order to advance to state there are certain cuts, for both individuals and relays, that we have to get to make it,” Lainsbury said.

Stone said the team performed significantly better in Sections than previous years.

“Our team got second in our section which is something we have never done in my six years,” Stone said.

The State meet will take place 6 p.m. Nov. 14-16 at The University of Minnesota Aquatic Center.

Sophie Olmen, Sports Editor

Hi my name is Sophie Olmen and I am the sports editor for the Echo. Fun fact I have two middle names and I am also a senior this year. I play tennis, basketball...

Hayley Westwood, Social Media Editor

Hey my name is Hayley Westwood and you’re watching Disney Channel. I am the one and only social media editor on Echo. Hobbies include going to the dog...