Girls’ basketball sees early season success

Park wins 90-71 against Tartan

Sophomore Reagan Alexander catches pass over Tartan defender. Parks second victory of the season was during the Breakdown Tip-off Classic tournament.

Creston Halstead

Creston Halstead

Creston Halstead

Ella Hammerstrand and Nolan Kelly

After their victory over Tartan, Park felt accomplished with their performance, according to sophomore Kendall Coley.

“It was somewhat up and down but we pushed our lead so that made it easier when we had our downs,” Coley said. “It made it easier to get back up.”

The team still has a long season ahead, and they will have to keep improving to keep up with the competition, according to assistant coach Chris Nordstrom.

“Putting up 90 points is great, but we’ve got things to work on. We’re going to continue to get better (because) it’s early in the season,” said Nordstrom.

The team prepared for their upcoming game throughout the week, utilizing the preceding days to strategize, according to Coley.

“We did a lot of conditioning Monday and Tuesday,” Coley said. “Then Wednesday, Thursday and Friday we went over our game plan, what we knew about the team and how we were going to react to what they threw out there.”

Coley said the game was encouraging for the team, saying they felt proud of their hard work and its results.

“I think so far we are doing really good. We are creating a better name for St. Louis Park girls’ basketball — better than it has been in the past,” Coley said. “We are on a good track with a tough season.”

Despite making errors during the game, Park didn’t allow themselves to lose momentum, according to Coley.

“We had a lot of ball movement,” Coley said. “We turned it over a little bit, but then we came back from that by getting a stop and coming down and getting a good shot.”

According to Nordstrom, the team worked together well, used their technical skills proficiently, and improved their play throughout the game.

“We responded (by) boxing out, getting a lot of rebounds, keeping them off of the offensive glass. We started to talk a little better, good ball movement and getting good shots,“ Nordstrom said.

St. Louis Park will face off against Park Center at 7:00 p.m. Dec. 7 at home in the St. Louis Park gym, according to MN Girls’ Basketball Hub.

Ella Hammerstrand, photographer

Hi, I’m Ella! I am a sophomore and new to the Echo this year. My position is photographer but I also hope to do some design stuff. Most of my time outside...

Nolan Kelly, Writer, Photographer

Hi-ya! My name is Nolan, I am a senior and this is my first year on Echo (and yes, I must be crazy). Also, my picture reaches the same conclusion. Things...