Outdoor ice rink at Mall of America

Free skating open until Jan. 27

Outdoor ice rink at Mall of America

The ice skating rink outside of the Mall of America which closes on Jan. 27. According to the Mall of America, renting ice skates requires a $5 fee.

Noah Orloff

Noah Orloff

Noah Orloff

Sophie Olmen

According to sophomore Abby Salzer, she thinks opening an ice rink at the Mall of America is a good idea to attract more people this winter season.

“I think it’s cool. It’s a good location and skating is a fun winter activity. It’s free and if you’re in need of skates, the rental is cheap,” Salzer said. “It might bring more people to the Mall of America.”

According to Mall of America (MOA) press release, senior vice president of Business Development at MOA Jill Renslow said adding an ice rink to the MOA holiday attractions will bring more enjoyment to people that go skating there.

“We want our guests to experience the unexpected when they visit each year. That is why adding this ice rink is such an exciting addition to our holiday line-up,” Renslow said. “We look forward to seeing guests from all over the world enjoy Skate the Star at MOA.”

Salzer said it is another attraction added to the mall to go with the others already present.

“I think it’s a good idea because it’s another attraction and you can do a lot of stuff around the Mall of America. You can go out to dinner in the mall and then go skating,” Salzer said.

President and CEO of Boys & Girls Clubs of the Twin Cities Terryl Brumm said the MOA partnered with Boys & Girls Clubs of the Twin Cities to create the ice rink Skate the Star.

“Partnering with Mall of America on Skate the Star offers the Boys & Girls Clubs an incredible chance to tell the story of our young people to a large and diverse audience,” Brumm said. “We can share the impact we are having on youth in the Twin Cities, engage new volunteers and supporters, and have a little fun on the ice at the same time.”

According to Salzer, she would attend Skate the Star because it’s a good way to spend time with friends and family.

“Yes (I would go) because I enjoy skating in the winter with family and friends,” Salzer said.

According to Brumm, the ice rink is a good way to bring people together for the holiday season.

“Skate the Star is a unique opportunity to bring our entire community together this holiday season and we are very proud to be a part of it,” Brumm said.

For more information visit Mall of America Skate the Star to learn about details, prices, rules and more.

Sophie Olmen, Sports Editor

Hi my name is Sophie Olmen and I am the sports editor for the Echo. Fun fact I have two middle names and I am also a senior this year. I play tennis, basketball...