Boys’ swimming defeats Benilde

Swimmers bring home 84-80 win against rival

Zach+Affeldt+swims+the+breastroke+during+their+meet+at+6+p.m.+on+Thursday+at+St.+Louis+Park+Middle+School.+The+park+boys%27+swimming+team+faced+off+against+Benilde+St.+Margrets+and+came+away+with+the+win+by+four+points.+

Boys’ swimming defeats Benilde

Zach Affeldt swims the breastroke during their meet at 6 p.m. on Thursday at St. Louis Park Middle School. The park boys' swimming team faced off against Benilde St. Margrets and came away with the win by four points.

Abigail Prestholdt

Abigail Prestholdt

Abigail Prestholdt

Talia Lissauer, Maddie Schutte

According to junior Zachary Weiser, although the team has continuously beat Benilde in the past, it entered looking for a competitive meet and the results delivered.

“We have never lost to Benilde,” Weiser said. “We were expecting a win but we knew that they are always really good competition and it would be a fun meet.”

According to coach Amanda Forsberg, the swimmers excelled in the meet, including the underclassmen.

“I think they swam really well, some of the younger guys really stepped up,” Forsberg said.

The win increased their record to 2-1, according to gopark.org.

Weiser said the team produced high energy and support from the successful results they were seeing.

“We did really well and it showed,” Weiser said. “Everyone was cheering each other on and it was really great.”

Forsberg said returning after a break full of practicing is difficult for swimmers, but they stepped up to the challenge.

“It’s kind of hard coming back after winter break when it’s just practice after practice, so it’s good to get good times from them after they put in all of that hard work,” Forsberg said.

Weiser said beating Benilde was a big accomplishment, but the team needs to shift their focus to the important meets coming up as well.

“Benilde is usually one of our top competitors for meets, but we still have some big and exciting meets coming up so I just hope that we continue improving,” Weiser said.

According to Forsberg, the team is still in the early stages of the season and are competing well so far.

“We have only had 3 conference meets,” Forsberg said. “We are in the middle it, and so far we are doing really good.”

Park defeated Benilde Jan. 10 with a final score of 84-80, according to gopark.org.

Talia Lissauer, Special Projects & Profiles Editor

Hey everyone my name is Talia Lissauer, I’m a sophmore and this is my first year on Echo. I play soccer all year long and in the winter I downhill ski...