Boys’ swimming blows out Bloomington Jefferson

Team earns 102-74 win

Freshman Hiro Mckee practices butterfly stroke following the Jefferson meet Feb. 5. He is preparing for the upcoming meet Feb. 9 at Oak Grove Middle School.

Ben Sanford

Ben Sanford

Ben Sanford

Talia Lissauer and Maddie Schutte

According to sophomore Zach Affeldt, the team had a successful meet against Bloomington Jefferson despite coming off of peak week which is the most intense practices of the season.

“It went really well even though we were supposed to not win by as much, which was really impressive since we were coming off peak weak which is the hardest practices of the season. But everybody did well for how tired we were,” Affeldt said.

Head coach Amanda Forsberg said it can be hard coming back from several days off due to the weather, but the team handled it well and had a good meet.

“I think we swam really well. (With) a bunch of time off last week it’s hard to come back into it, but we did it,” Forsberg said.

According to Affeldt, times were not as fast as they typically are because of peak week, but the team still put in its best effort.

“We gave it our all even though we were tired, people definitely didn’t go as fast as they would have if it had been a normal week, because we had a really hard practice and a lot of us were really sore,” Affeldt said.

Forsberg said she is proud of the times the swimmers put on the board.

“I’m very happy with how they swam, lots of good times,” Forsberg said.

Affeldt said the team could have done a better job of having a good attitude during the meet.

“A better mindset for some people, a lot of people were letting (how tired they were) get to them,” Affeldt said.

According to Forsberg the score of the meet was 102-74 improving their record to 4-1.

According to Affeldt, the team has the potential of performing well at Sections based on their success at the Jefferson meet.

“Based off this meet I think everyone is going to do really well (at Sections), and when we taper and prepare for (Sections), it’s going to go all that much better,” Affeldt said.

Forsberg said Jefferson is usually a tough competitor, but was not at this past meet.

“It was supposed to be a really close meet and the score did not reflect that,” Forsberg said.

Varsity Sections will be at 1 p.m. Feb. 23 at the Art Downey Aquatics Center.

Talia Lissauer, Special Projects & Profiles Editor

Hey everyone my name is Talia Lissauer, I’m a sophmore and this is my first year on Echo. I play soccer all year long and in the winter I downhill ski...

Maddie Schutte, Writer

Hi friends! My name is Maddie but most call me the full “Maddie Schutte,” and I’m a writer for Echo this year! I’m a Sophomore and in my spare...