Locking in on a new season

As NHL resumes, Park students and business prepare for the excitement

After 113 days of bickering between owners and players, it appears a hockey season may be reclaimed from the perils of the lockout.

After reaching an agreement Jan. 11, players and owners began regrouping for a shortened 2013 season.

Jason Rackner, manager of Bunny’s, a St. Louis Park sports bar, said for high schoolers in the state of hockey, the news could not have come quick enough.

“People are dying for hockey,” he said. “We’ll have no problem getting people excited again.”

Just as Rackner predicted, Park teens are buzzing in anticipation of opening day for the Wild.

Junior Daniel Foltz said he thinks after the moves the team made in the offseason, the Wild are in good shape.

“With our new pickups of (Ryan) Suter and (Zach) Parise, I’m excited to see where we’ll go,” he said.

Parise, who attended Shattuck St. Mary’s High School in Minnesota, won’t get the chance to play a full season for his new team. Yet, Foltz predicts once the season begins, it will be hockey as usual for Parise and the team.

“Once (the wild) get into the swing of things, it’ll get back to normal,” he said. “It’s just sad we had to miss a lot of hockey.”

Rackner said besides simply enjoying watching hockey, Park businesses like other sports bars and shops could see a spike in sales.

“If (the Wild) are playing, people are going to buy more clothing and other merchandise, especially if they’re winning,” he  said.

After talking to many Park students at his restaurant, Rackner said they have been waiting long enough for the season to begin.

“When I ask if I can turn on old NHL games, the kids are all for it,” he said. “They’re ready.”