Ralia provides athletic opportunity

Ralia Sports Center, located in Maple Grove, hosts indoor soccer throughout the offseason

For soccer players seeking fast-paced and aggressive soccer matches during the winter months, the Ralia Sports Center offers a nearby outlet.
Dean Campbell, Ralia soccer director, said the center provides many opportunities that are hard to find elsewhere by helping players improve certain skills that aid them during the regular season.
“In an indoor game, players are faced with a faster, perhaps more physical game that requires quicker decision-making, improved technical execution and increased awareness of offensive and defensive transitions,” Campbell said.
Junior Emily Boone, a recent addition to a Golden Valley soccer team along with other players from Park, said she thinks Ralia is a unique and fun way to play soccer.
“It’s a fast-paced and aggressive game playing at Ralia, because you can use the boards of the hockey rink,” Boone said.
Senior Gideon Moranga, a boys’ varsity soccer player this past season, also plays at Ralia and said he greatly appreciates the experience, since it’s hard to play soccer during the winter.
“It’s a great way to have fun and play soccer during the winter,” Moranga said. “I get to stay fit over the winter and play competitive soccer even though the regular season is over.”
Senior Ethan Hulett, also a varsity soccer player this past season, has regularly played at Ralia for four years and said he recommends it for soccer players because it’s easy to participate and make a team.
“Every Sunday, my team competes in hour-long fast-paced games,” Hulett said. “You only need eight players to make a team, so it’s a great opportunity for anybody looking for a way to play soccer during the winter.”
Hulett and Moranga, who play on the same team at Ralia, play alongside teammates from Hopkins, Wayzata and Robbinsdale-Armstrong. In the most recent winter session, the team went undefeated, but lost in the championship game in overtime.
Campbell said Ralia offers a countless number of leagues and programs for all ages, including two teams from Park
“Between 2011-2012, Ralia had up to 7,500 soccer player visits,” Campbell said. “Boys and girls as young as 18 months, and adults into their 50s can play at Ralia for soccer, lacrosse and volleyball.”
Although the last sign up for this season was Feb. 27, the next session opens Oct. 27.