Swimmers prep for State

Coaches, athletes anticipate successful performance

Elise Riley and Sophie Yarosh

Freshman Hattie Kugler swims breaststroke during practice after school. The swimmers upped their yardage and then tapered it in preparation for State Nov. 17 and 18.

Malaika Bigirindavyi
Freshman Hattie Kugler swims breast stroke during practice after school. The swimmers upped their yardage and then tapered it in preparation for State Nov. 17 and 18.

As sophomore swimmer Lexi Lee prepares for at least three races in her return to State, she anticipates a competitive and exciting meet.

“I’m really looking forward to the competitive environment again, because last year it was probably one of the most competitive meets I’ve ever been to, and so it was just a cool experience,” Lee said.

Lee said to prepare for State, swimmers have focused on their technique.

“We’ve been working a lot on our relay starts and our sprinting, and just like kind of more technique stuff like that. All the little things will come together,” Lee said.

Head coach Joe Yaeger said State preparations included peaking and then lowering the swimming yardage, like the team did before Sections.

“The team has been preparing because after Sections we re-tapered them, which means we bumped back up their yards and dropped it again,” Yaeger said.

Yaeger said he anticipates the team performing well at State this year.

“I am very excited. I think the girls are in a great position to do very well,” Yaeger said. “I think we are going to hopefully accumulate the most points that we have in a long time at State.”

Freshman swimmer Hattie Kugler said she feels excited to return to State and do what she loves.

“I’m really excited because I love my team and I love just swimming,” Kugler said.

According to Yaeger, the team is providing the most girls at State this year than any other year he has coached.

“My entire time coaching here at Park and talking to Amanda Forsberg, the assistant coach, we can’t remember the last time that we have had three relays go to State on the same year, so just with that alone, that is a huge accomplishment,” Yaeger said.

Lee said she feels proud that so many of her teammates will join her at State.

“We have a lot of people going in individual events, and all three of our relays made it, so that’s really exciting,” Lee said. “There’ll just be a lot more Park swimmers on the water.”

State preliminary races take place at noon Nov. 17 at the University of Minnesota Aquatic Center. State finals races take place at noon Nov. 18 at the University of Minnesota Aquatic Center.