Lorentz commits to University of Nebraska-Omaha

Tennis player to compete at Division 1 level

Hannah Leff

Josh Halper
Senior Natalie Lorentz competes in the tennis State tournament Oct. 27. Loretnz committed to play Division 1 tennis at the University of Nebraska-Omaha.

Senior Natalie Lorentz’s goal of playing collegiate level tennis had finally been achieved when she committed to play Division 1 tennis at University of Nebraska-Omaha .

“I wanted to keep improving my game even after high school. I wanted to try and compete at the highest level possible. It’s something I love to do,” Lorentz said.

According to girls’ tennis head coach David Breitenbucher, Lorentz’s success comes from her motivation and passion.

“Natalie has been and continues to be a success in tennis simply because she has the drive to improve her game. She has put in countless hours over the years on the tennis court to strive towards perfection. She has a passion for the game,” Breitenbucher said.

Lorentz said she chose the University of Nebraska-Omaha because she feels the tennis program fits her needs.

“Omaha had a lot to offer for student athletes. The tennis program had really nice facilities for playing and for working out. They also had hands on physical therapy in case of injuries,” Lorentz said.

According to Lorentz, the tennis team was the deciding factor when choosing University of Nebraska-Omaha.

“I could see myself being a part of (the team) for the next four years. (The coaches and players) helped me understand what it was going to be like to compete at a Division 1 level,” Lorentz said.

Lorentz said she also considered other schools.

“I was also looking at the University of North Dakota, the University of Montana, Emory University and the University of Alabama-Huntsville. I felt (University of Nebraska-Omaha) was the best fit for me,” Lorentz said.

Breitenbucher said he feels proud of Lorentz’s achievement.

“Its unbelievable. You don’t get many kids coming through, especially in a sport like tennis, that get to go play at that level. It’s pretty neat,” Breitenbucher said.

According to Lorentz, many people contributed to her success as a tennis player.

“My coaches have taught me many valuable lessons that I can apply to tennis and life in general. My friends and family have been by my side since day one and are very encouraging and motivating,” Lorentz said. “I’m very blessed to of had such a great support system from the start.”