Ice fishing season begins

Participants look forward to winter activity

Jacob Stillman

According to junior Wyatt Christenson, the ice fishing season can start at different times each year for multiple reasons.

“Ice fishing can start early, like late November, or it could start in late December, even January,” Christenson said. “(It) depends on how much ice you get or how cold it is.”

Christenson said ice fishing offers a unique strategy in catching fish in comparison to summer fishing.

“(In the winter) it is a lot more of a smaller size technique with smaller hooks, smaller rod (and) smaller line, just because the fish slow down in the winter and have a smaller appetite,” Christenson said.

This unique style of fishing does come with disadvantages. According to sophomore Will Hannon, being in the cold plays a big part in ice fishing.

“It is freezing, you cannot move as much,” Hannon said. “You have to pick a spot and stay there.”

Christenson said not being able to move around as much is especially hard when trying to determine where the best spot to catch fish is depth wise.

“Trying to find a certain depth that you want to be at is hard because it is hard to drill holes. It is not efficient, like if you are on a boat in the summer, you have a depth finder a

nd you can find the body of water instantly. When you are on the ice, you have to use a map of the body of water or you have to do it manually,” he said.

Hannon said although often difficult, he has plenty of fond recent memories of ice fishing including his favorite moment last year.

“(My friend) and I were at Cedar Lake and we caught a 35 inch Northern (Pike). It was pretty sick because we did not know we (would catch one),” Hannon said.

Building off of these good times ice fishing in the past, Christenson said they look forward to a fun year this winter on the lakes.

“It is fun because you can be with your friends and also catch fish and have a good time,” Christenson said.

Jacob Stillman, Sports Editor

Hello everyone, my name is Jacob, your co-sports editor. People often confuse me with Shaquille O’Neal and Michael Jordan because of our shared dunking...