Weather fails to deter track team

Athletes look forward to a productive start to the season

Senior Ryan Keith warms up for his second day of track practice this season. The team will practice inside until they are able to use the track outside.

Josh Halper

Josh Halper

William Phelan and Jacob Stillman

Despite the recent dump of snow, Junior sprinter Peyton Morrison said the track team has been able to hold productive practices indoors.

“It has been a good start to the season,” Morrison said. “We have been able to work on sprint mechanics and quick footwork in the gym, which will help set us up well for outdoor workouts.”

According to head coach Richard Keith, the team has been able to split work on many event specifics despite not being outside.

“We will meet as a group to warm up and work on core strength, but the bulk of our practices have been splitting up and working on event-specific training,” Keith said.

Keith said there has been an above average turnout at practice thus far, which he believes will benefit their performance.

“The numbers are good, we have over 60 kids,” Keith said. “We usually don’t have that many before the season begins.”

According to Morrison, the track team has set the goal of winning a Metro West conference championship this season.

“So far, this season is looking bright for us,” Morrison said. “Hopefully we can win a conference title, that’s what we are always out for.”

Morrison said the sprint unit is looking especially strong early in the season.

“We are expecting big things out of sprints this year.” Morrison said. “We have a few new guys that I think will make a big impact on the team.”

According to Keith, his responsibilities as head coach go beyond general supervision of the program.

“I am the head coach and the sprint coach, so I work with sprints and relays,” Keith said.

Despite the limited gym space, Keith said the coaching staff collaborates in order to make the most of the available resources and give all athletes an equal chance to train early in the year.

“The coaches work together in order to maximize our time and facilities,” Keith said. “We have some crossover coaches between boys and girls, and we want to make sure everybody has a chance to get instruction.”

According to Morrison, the abundance of returning runners should make the boys track team successful.

“We have quite a few guys that are returning, especially in hurdles and long distance,” Morrison said. “I think these returning runners will make sure we are strong in those areas.”