Gymnastics prepares for meet against Chaska-Chan

Parents night celebration to occur before competition

Freshman+Josie+Briant+performs+her+bars+routine+Jan.+7+at+Park+Center.+Park+gymnastic%27s+next+meet+will+take+place+6+p.m.+Jan.+9+at+home.++

Freshman Josie Briant performs her bars routine Jan. 7 at Park Center. Park gymnastic's next meet will take place 6 p.m. Jan. 9 at home.

Malaika Bigirindavyi

Malaika Bigirindavyi

Malaika Bigirindavyi

Alex Balfour, Hannah Leff, and Izzy Leviton

According to junior captain Savannah Romero, the gymnastics team will be honoring the gymnasts’ parents for their dedication to the team during their home meet against Chaska-Chan Jan. 9.

“We make cards for our parents and then our coaches also bring flowers for us to give to them,” Romero said. “We do it just to show our appreciation that they always spend so much time and money to let us (be on the team).”

Senior captain Anna duSaire said besides recognizing parents for their work, the structure of the upcoming meet will not be different from previous ones.

“Other than that part of the meet, it’s not really different, but it’s nice to just recognize our parents and thank them for what they’ve done for us over the years,” duSaire said.

Assistant coach Kelly Bergum said the gymnasts will be cleaning up skills learned over break to prepare for the meet.

“It’s the first dual meet, meaning JV and varsity, since winter break. Over winter break they tried to work on new skills,” Bergum said. “Today will just be working on whatever they worked on over winter break. We’re going to work on routines and make sure we have everything good to go.”

According to duSaire, the varsity team participated in an invite at Park Center Jan. 6  which allowed the gymnasts to identify the skills they need to work on in preparation for future meets.

“The meet on Saturday went pretty well for vault and bars, and we had a rough time on beam and on floor, so I think we really need to work on being confident in ourselves and in our routines and really nailing the routines because we all have the skills that we need,” duSaire said.

Romero said for the upcoming meet, she encourages the team to focus on achieving to their full potential instead of becoming distracted by the difficult competition.

“When we know we are facing a good team we like to tell (the team) to not worry about the other team,” Romero said. “Let’s just think about getting PRs and doing the best that we can do because that will only make us better.”

According to gopark.org, the meet will take place  at 6 p.m. Jan. 9 at Central Community Center gymnasium against Chaska-Chan.

Alex Balfour, Copy Editor

Hi my name is Alex Dominique Balfour! You can call me Fat-Al or Al Bal. I am a copy editor for this lovely newspaper. I am a super all-star soccer player...

Hannah Leff, Opinions Editor

Good morning my name is Hannah Leff. I am an opinions editor alongside my dearest friend Lukas Levin. In my free time I enjoy drinking cranberry juice,...

Izzy Leviton, Special Projects Editor

Salutations! My name is Izzy and this iz my first year writing for the Echo.  Talents include:  sledding, bowling a 300 (and better than Jacob),  cooking...