Girls’ ultimate takes second place at State

Team plays strong despite rain, wind

Sam St. Clair and Devin Raynor

Head coach Seija Stratton said despite difficult weather conditions, the girls’ ultimate team played strong at the State tournament June 2-3.

“The team played so well. This was definitely, from a weather standpoint, the hardest tournament that we’ve played in,” Stratton said.

Stratton said the team reached new heights despite bad weather June 2.

“Yesterday it was rainy, it was cold, we had a lightning delay that delayed us in the cars for a while, and the girls came out and played so hard,” Stratton said. “We had a bunch of newer players score so that really speaks to the depth of growth of the team and that it has potential.”

According to sophomore Amelia Ryan, she most enjoyed the team’s last game on the first day of the tournament.

“My favorite part about the tournament was our last point to our last game on Saturday against Como (Park), because it was an over 20 minute point. It was very close and whoever won that point, won the game,” Ryan said. “Even though it was very stressful it was really competitive and fun to play in.”

Stratton said the team kept a positive attitude despite rainy conditions.

“I was very proud of how well we played in the rain yesterday. The first comment that the girls had to me wasn’t ‘it’s rainy, it’s cold,’ it was ‘this is perfect layout weather,’” Stratton said. “They were all about giving one hundred percent.”

Ryan said she takes pride in the team’s improvement this season.

“I’m really proud of how far this team has come and grown throughout the season, we started off our first game when we scored zero points and then this weekend we went five and one at our State tournament,” Ryan said. “It just shows how hard work pays off”

Stratton said the team lost their second game against Open World Learning June 2, placing the team second in division two.

“We won our first game against White Bear Lake. (We) crushed them, pun intended, with a final score of 10-2,” Stratton said. “Unfortunately we lost in the final matchup against Open World Learning. It just came down to, it was very windy and we ran out of time.”

Ryan said the team walked out with a 5-1 record, losing their final game against Open World Learning Center 9-7.

Sam St. Clair, Managing Editor

Hey girly I’m Sam St. Clair ✌️just your everyday Managing editor. I’m totally quirky, but now that quirky is trendy I’m an “edgy” quirky teen, if that makes any sense. I enjoy drinking coffee, but I don’t like getting the jitters so I drink hot chocolate instead. Also, I was basically in the same room at Beyoncé this summer…just saying. You can always find me in the back room being the design queen I am, making videos in the broadcast room and spilling all the tea. See you on the flip side 😉

Devin Raynor, Design Editor
Yo I’m Devin and I’m the funniest person on Echo. As design editor, I make the pages look almost as pretty as me. I need six feet of white space around me at all times. I wear rad socks and have a low-key obsession with my cat, Mango. The majority of things I own come...