Senior commits to play Division 1 volleyball

Gabby McCaa to compete with University of Southern California in Fall of 2019

Senior+Gabby+McCaa+works+on+her+setting+technique+during+practice+on+August+23.++Having+good+setting+skills+is+essential+for+a+successful+volleyball+career.+
Senior Gabby McCaa works on her setting technique during practice on August 23.  Having good setting skills is essential for a successful volleyball career.

Senior Gabby McCaa works on her setting technique during practice on August 23. Having good setting skills is essential for a successful volleyball career.

Anika Hanson

Anika Hanson

Anika Hanson and Emma Leff

Senior Gabby McCaa began the recruiting process to play collegiate volleyball at the age of 14. All she knew was that she wanted to keep playing volleyball.

“(Volleyball) is something that I really love and (I) wanted to continue to compete,” McCaa said.

McCaa said her parents and coaching staff were with her every step of the recruiting process to help her in any way they could.

“I looked mainly around the Midwest because I thought I wanted to stay close to home, but once I started visiting other states, I fell in love with the West Coast,” McCaa said.

McCaa said after visiting the University of Southern California (USC)’s campus for the first time, she immediately knew it was the right place for her.

Before she leaves for California, McCaa has one high school season left. McCaa decided not to return to Southwest High School for her senior year, but instead transferred to St. Louis Park High School.

Joining a new team can be difficult, but McCaa is ready for the challenge.

“I am a little nervous, but I am looking forward to competing with a new group of girls,” McCaa said.

Park varsity volleyball coach Whitney Meierotto-Simon said she is excited for Gabby to play for Park for her final high school season.

“We will look to (Gabby) to be a leader out on the court as she has so much experience through many different and highly successful volleyball programs,” said Meierotto-Simon.

Meierotto-Simon said she is looking to utilize McCaa’s versatile talents to help the team win their conference and section.

“Gabby will play a huge role on our team both offensively and defensively. She is open to feedback and is always looking to improve her game,” said Meierotto-Simon.

The Orioles will play their next match at 7 p.m. September 20th at Bloomington Jefferson High School.

SaveSave

Anika Hanson, Photographer

Hello there. My name is Anika Hanson, pronounced ON-ICK-A for those of you that don’t know.  I joined Echo this year as a senior cuz why the heck not. I enjoy drinking iced chai tea because coffee is gross and consuming all dairy products except for cottage cheese because that’s gross too. Oh and also join nordic #skieason

Emma Leff, Photographer

Hi, I am Emma Leff. I am a junior and I like to play soccer. I enjoy naps, chilling with my dog and grocery shopping. Target is my favorite place and I could spend hours there. If you haven’t heard already, I work at the Rec #reclife.