Park boys’ basketball starts Sections with win against South

Team hopes to keep momentum for next game against Hopkins

Junior+Cole+Ewald+passes+the+ball+to+a+teammate+during+Parks%27+first+Sections+game+against+Minneapolis+South+March+5.+Park+won+the+game+with+a+score+of+87-63.+

Junior Cole Ewald passes the ball to a teammate during Parks' first Sections game against Minneapolis South March 5. Park won the game with a score of 87-63.

Sophie Livingston

Sophie Livingston

Sophie Livingston

Kate Schneider

According to junior Erik Piehl, the game against South was a successful start to Sections, despite some moments where Park fell behind.

“I think it went really good. We started off the game really good. Then it the middle of the first half (South) went on a run and our score got closer, but overall we had a good game and we played really good on the offense,” Piehl said.

Coach David Breitenbucher said although the team got a little too comfortable with its lead, the players were able to dial the intensity back up to win 87-63.

“I think we started off really strong, we let up a little bit and relaxed when we had a lead. Then the second half we played really well again. So I’m really happy, it was a good team effort,” Breitenbucher said.

According to sophomore Will Kietzmann, the team started off well but relaxed and began to lose its large lead, but still managed to get a win.

“At the beginning, it was very good and then we started to relax which then brought the game down, but overall it was okay,” Kietzmann said.

Breitenbucher said despite their defense being strongest in the first few minutes of the game, the offense performed well during the entire game and was one of the best parts of the game.

“Our defensive intensity, the first like nine minutes of the game, I thought we did really well, that was probably a highlight. And then we were really efficient on offense,” Breitenbucher said.

According to Piehl, there were certain skills the team could stand to improve, including guarding the other team and getting more rebounds.

“I definitely think we could’ve done better at rebounding and boxing out. Also staying in front of our man and not letting them get open lanes to the basket,” Piehl said.

Piehl said the team is looking forward to its next Sections game against a very tough rival and believes that through hard work and talent, Park can win.

“I’m hoping that on Friday we can beat Hopkins even though they’re a tough team. They’re ranked one of the best in the State. We’ve got a shot and we can pull off an upset,” Piehl said.

Park’s next game is against Hopkins at 7 p.m. Mar. 8 at Osseo High School.

Kate Schneider, Writer

What’s up guys, I’m Kate and I’m a sophomore! I’m going to be writer this year and in my spare time (everyday) I’m in the pool swimming. My favorite...