Baseball falls to Benilde

Park celebrates senior night after loss

Junior+Jackson+McClain+stands+at+the+plate+ready+to+hit+the+ball+while+playing+against+Benilde+St.+Margaret+May+13.+The+game+ended+with+Park+losing+4-0.+

Baseball falls to Benilde

Junior Jackson McClain stands at the plate ready to hit the ball while playing against Benilde St. Margaret May 13. The game ended with Park losing 4-0.

Ben Sanford

Ben Sanford

Ben Sanford

Maddie Schutte, Talia Lissauer

After beating Benilde earlier this season in a 7-1 game, junior Aaron Ellingson said Benilde’s fast pitcher caused the team to take a hard loss in their second time facing them.

Park lost to Benilde 4-0 Monday, May 13.

“It didn’t go great,” Ellingson said. “We had previously beaten (Benilde) the first time we played them. Our defense was pretty solid but we couldn’t get anything going offensively.”

According to coach Brian Kelly, the team was able to beat Benilde earlier in the season under a different pitcher.

“Last time we played Benilde the pitcher was very hittable and we beat them 7-1. Last year both times we played Benilde we lost with this pitcher. So really the only difference was the starting pitcher. He did really really well,” Kelly said.

Ellingson said although it was an unfortunate loss to Benilde, playing against a fast pitcher will benefit the team at Sections, where there will potentially be similar pitchers from other teams.

“I think this was a good test to see what we’re made of for Sections coming up. I know they’ve got some good pitchers from bigger schools like Hopkins and Wayzata,” Ellingson said. “I think just using this (loss) as something to move forward from and see what we can improve on for Sections when it really matters.”

Ellingson said the team was able to celebrate senior night despite the tough loss.

“We had the senior night ceremony with all the parents,” Ellingson said. “I think the team did a good job of forgetting the loss and (to) just celebrate and be happy after that.”

According to senior Aaron Sledge, this season has been his favorite group he has played with, and is excited to play in his last Sections.

“I’m definitely realizing it’s coming to an end. I’m just really glad to be playing with this group of guys, it’s probably my favorite team that I’ve played on,” Sledge said. “I’m just looking forward to our run at Sections.”

Park baseball won against Bloomington Kennedy 4-2 May 14. Park will face Robbinsdale Cooper next 4:30 p.m. May 17 at Robbinsdale Cooper High School.

Maddie Schutte, Writer

Hi friends! My name is Maddie but most call me the full “Maddie Schutte,” and I’m a writer for Echo this year! I’m a Sophomore and in my spare...