Hopkins-Park helps community

Girls hockey holds bagging fundraiser
Ari Lissauer
Freshman Ella Koethe bags groceries Sept. 17. Girls hockey fundraises for upcoming season.

As Hopkins-Park’s hockey season is right around the corner, they are beginning to fundraise. They helped bag cub groceries from 1-5 p.m., Sept. 17 to raise money for the Girls hockey team.

Head coach Ryan St. Martin said the fundraiser is a great way to start the season.

“It’s good to get a little bit of camaraderie and meet the new faces who are going to be in the program this year,” Martin said. “It’s also important to have a common goal, which is raising money to help support the girls and having an enjoyable experience this season.”

Freshman Ella Koethe said the team has no fundraisers in the near future.

“We don’t have any other fundraisers planned out right now,” Koethe said. “I think bagging is enough, though, because we’re helping out the community.

Martin said  he feels it’s  important to get to know their supporters and raise money.

“The girls are able to get out in the community and meet people who may be fans,” said Martin. “We’re also gonna have two trips up north this year; So some of our funds will go to the offsets class for that.”

Freshman Lianna Hess said the fundraiser money will be used for equipment.

“We are going to try to get nicer equipment,” Hess says. “Hopefully making new additions to the locker room too.”

Koethe said she’s excited for the upcoming season.

“I’m looking forward to getting to know my coaches and new people,” Koethe says. “I’m just excited to start high school hockey in general.”

Martin said the program has a promising year ahead of them.

“This season I think is going to be our most successful campaign in my tenure with the program,” stated Martin. “We’re really looking forward to building upon the last couple seasons and being acknowledged throughout the state, where the programs come.”