Girls’ cross country performs poorly at sections

Park runner prepares for state
Ari Lissauer
Junior Anna Healey perseveres through the race Oct. 25. Girls cross country placed 6th in the section.

As the cross country season winded down, there remained one more meet circled on the calendar — sections. The team competed in the 6AAA sections meet Oct. 25 at Gale Woods where they placed 6th out of seven teams.

Head coach Chris Nordstrom said he’s proud of how his team progressed this year.

“We just continue to progress. Our young kids have dropped time throughout the year and our JV (Junior Varsity) kids continue to get better throughout the year,” said Nordstrom. “I think overall our culture just continues to be in a better spot.”

Senior Jersey Miller said she’s proud of the community and culture of the team.

“I think our community keeps getting stronger and has so much love, and everyone is just so kind and supportive and encouraging,” said Miller. “Everybody works really, really hard.”

Senior Ruby Massie said this meet was her favorite moment from the season.

“This meet (was my favorite) because just seeing everybody run,” said Massie. “All the moments that you’ve been through together, you know, it’s sad, but it’s good.”

Nordstrom said the team performed well under the circumstances.

“You know, our section is one of the toughest in the state and there’s not a lot of pressure on us so we just try to compete, run hard and run fast,” said Nordstrom. “Some kids had a good day, some kids had not as good a day, but overall we gave it our best effort.”

Miller explains how she is getting ready to perform at state.

“I’m really, really excited to go to state because I have a lot of really good competition. It’s a great chance to run fast,” said Miller. “It’s also a new course this year, which is cool. It’s over at the U of M instead of down in St. Olaf, so I’ve never ran there and I’m really excited to check that out.”

Watch Miller race at state Nov. 4 at University of Minnesota Les Bolstad Golf Course, time TBD.