Park defeats Robinsdale-Armstrong in home opener

Girls basketball wins second game in a row
Jaiden Leary
Senior Evie Schmitz drives down the court Dec. 7. The girls’ basketball team won against Armstrong 67-59.

Girls basketball faced off against Robinsdale-Armstrong in their home opener. Riding their momentum of their first win from last week, the girls grab another hard fought victory to win their second straight game. 

Assistant coach Suzanne Gilreath said that the team has a lot to work on, but she is very proud of the victory against their opponent.

“We could’ve beat them by much more for sure,” Gilreath said. “We missed a lot of layups, we didn’t rebound very well, our rotation wasn’t there so we have a lot to work on but hey, it’s a win.”

Sophomore Maddie Brown said that one thing she could’ve done better was being smarter and making better decisions while the ball is in her hands.

“I definitely could’ve been more efficient with the ball,” Brown said. “Just with taking smarter shots and making smarter passes.”

Junior Bella Miller said that she believes the team has great chemistry and that that is going to be a big role in how the team performs this year.

“Our new coach is big on team connection,” Miller said. “We’ve all been playing together for a long time but overall this year it’s really picking up.”

Gilreath thinks that the team has high potential and has a lot to work on to reach their peak.

“I think we have a lot to work on and improve on to reach our peak,” Gilreath said. “We just have to keep building momentum and learning from our mistakes and we’ll get there for sure.”

Miller said she is enthusiastic to spend the season with the seniors who are big role models for the team.

“I’m most excited to spend my year with the seniors Kiya, Ruby and Evie,” Miller said. “I’m hoping to go out with a bang with them and the new head coach.

Brown said she is looking forward to keep on racking up wins and hopefully reaching state at the end of the season.

“I’m hoping we continue winning,” Brown said. “State (is the) goal you know so we have to keep working if we want to get there.”

Park girls basketball takes on their next opponent, Minnehaha Academy, at 6:15 p.m December 15 at Park’s main gym.