Park gets taken down by Hopkins

Boys basketball loses 103-64
Jack Betzer
Junior Marley Curtis goes for a layup on Dec. 12. Park lost to Hopkins 103-64.

Park’s boys basketball team continued their losing streak as they were dominated by Hopkins, with a final score of 103-64 Dec. 12. Despite the effort from Park against the cross-town rival, Park took the loss in this game.

Head coach Arsenio Richardson said the team cracked under pressure in the big game against Hopkins.

“We didn’t play to the best of our ability. We shielded away from the bright light, but we played hard,” Richardson said. “Definitely some stuff to learn from.”

According to junior Micah Curtis, the team was afraid and didn’t match the energy they were faced with in front of the big Hopkins crowd. 

“We came out fearful and just weren’t playing very aggressively,” Curtis said. “We weren’t playing as a team.”

Junior Marley Curtis said the team chemistry hasn’t been clicking to start the season. However, he said it is still early and they will keep getting better.

“I think our chemistry has been poor, but that’s just what happens at the start of the year sometimes,” Curtis said. “It’ll continue to improve as the season goes on.”

According to Richardson, the team’s defense was very poor due to the team’s intensity and lack of chemistry.

“We gave up 103 points, so we just need to be better defensively,” Richardson said. “I think we’ve gotten in better shape. We haven’t really improved as much as we could, but we’ve been getting in better shape and learning from each other.”

Curtis said they have been working to get better at the offensive end, but there is still room for improvement.

“We’ve gotten a little bit better with our offensive movement and being aggressive, but there is a lot to work on,” Curtis said. 

Parks boys basketball will be playing against Minnehaha Academy at 8 p.m. Dec. 15 at Park’s main gym.